Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Software Update 2.2 includes Apple CarPlay (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=326119)

giftgrub100 Jun 23rd, 2022 08:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankiee (Post 2830633)
I wonder whether the maps will appear in the driver display now too with this version of CarPlay. In the previous Sensus models all you got was a split screen on the centre screen and nothing in the driver display

The car has google maps built in, just wondering why would you want to use another map rather the cars own maps ?

Stu22 Jun 23rd, 2022 10:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by giftgrub100 (Post 2830654)
The car has google maps built in, just wondering why would you want to use another map rather the cars own maps ?

I'm a firm Android / Google maps user but speaking to my wife who is firmly in the Apple camp, its more about how AAOS handles things like messaging as opposed to CarPlay

giftgrub100 Jun 23rd, 2022 11:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu22 (Post 2830667)
I'm a firm Android / Google maps user but speaking to my wife who is firmly in the Apple camp, its more about how AAOS handles things like messaging as opposed to CarPlay

Cool, was just wondering, I hope the google maps still work when using carplay, will be best of both

Rayman71 Jun 23rd, 2022 12:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by giftgrub100 (Post 2830683)
Cool, was just wondering, I hope the google maps still work when using carplay, will be best of both

The confidential Volvo document says "When navigation is started through Apple CarPlay, ongoing native turn-by-turn route guidance will be ended.". I think it will not be possible to use both.

Stu22 Jun 23rd, 2022 12:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayman71 (Post 2830691)
The confidential Volvo document says "When navigation is started through Apple CarPlay, ongoing native turn-by-turn route guidance will be ended.". I think it will not be possible to use both.

Surely you can run Google maps through CarPlay though, just not the cars own Google Maps?

Rayman71 Jun 23rd, 2022 12:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu22 (Post 2830695)
Surely you can run Google maps through CarPlay though, just not the cars own Google Maps?

I wrote what the confidential Volvo doc says and how I understand it. If you use Google maps through Apple CarPlay then it will probably work, but using both together seems wierd. I would prefere on board nav instead of CarPlay. Anyway, next weeks will confirm what will be possible.

giftgrub100 Jun 23rd, 2022 13:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayman71 (Post 2830691)

I was hoping if using carplay for sounds/podcast or music that you could still use cars built in google maps for Nav, rather than using carplay for Nav as well, would be the ideal blend for me.

Fibrous Jun 23rd, 2022 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian.7878 (Post 2830620)
@Fibrous, Thats reading like front USB will be open again to allow data!
I heard that Carplay is "wired" so they will HAVE to open data in that case! dont know how it could be done any other way! Given how Polstar are saying Front USB are open, and underneath both cars are using the same electronics it would make sense! now its just a waiting game for the update to drop! i did read some where ETA 3rd July OTA will start and 1 week before ( Next week in that case ) dealerships ( VIDA access )

so i guess its watch this space!

USB audio file playback confirmed as working with 2.2 in Polestars !!

WhatNext? Jun 23rd, 2022 18:21

Why would you use the vastly inferior Apple Maps v Google Maps that's built-in

ElCap Jun 23rd, 2022 18:54

Not sure why they couldn’t give us wireless CarPlay. I’ve had that for over 2 years in my Audi so it’s hardly new technology. And wireless is much more convenient.