Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Where did all the fuel go? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=320204)

Cull06 Sep 28th, 2021 18:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by tofufi (Post 2773935)
Even Grant Shapps now admits Brexit is a contributory factor:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-58719614

:)

Not possible mate as they’ve said on here that it’s nothing to do with Brexit.

🍿

Cull06 Sep 28th, 2021 18:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by XCR (Post 2773916)
We move house this week (deep joy....) and I have two Volvos and a Hired Luton Van to do a collective 1200 miles.
After a not inconsiderable amount of stress from months of coordination and planning, this manufactured fuel crisis is now keeping me awake at night.
Perhaps I'll be spotted selfishly brimming vehicles or, God forbid, my Jerry cans and become the target of a media witch hunt.....

Having all your worldly possessions in a van that may just run out of fuel miles from 'home' with your family in two other vehicles facing the same problem is really taking the edge off our happy move.

I voted against this mate so you can’t point the finger at the me this time!

Wizzpop Sep 28th, 2021 18:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Othen (Post 2773860)
Much as I thought: all the fuss was due to panic buying, now that people have filled up the tanks of their cars and their jerry cans in the shed the hysteria has subsided and things seem to be pretty much back to normal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fika (Post 2773863)
That is in line with what I was thinking (or hoping) as well, that this was all just hysteria and within 1-2 weeks it would be resolved. If that does not happen to be the case, there may have been some truth to the claim but we'll see, we're still on week 1.

We managed to fill our little Peugeot, which was down to the last few litres. Strange how panic buying affects your thoughts. We weren't that bothered last Friday when it all started, then virtually all the stations around here were closed.
We use the Peugeot for the once a week grandson's school run, nearly 40 miles in total, so were concerned this morning. Even this afternoon the two local stations were closed. Fortunately Tesco were open but only had 99 octane Momentum, no diesel, and they were nearly out.
I have half a tank in the Volvo so will wait for a few more days.
So, although trying not to panic buy, we ended up making a special, exploratory, journey to hopefully find fuel. Until we get back to normal, and people stop topping up every day, the problem will remain.

Whippy Sep 28th, 2021 18:54

Lots of fuel here boyo, or as I call it...Freeeeeedom juice!

Othen Sep 28th, 2021 19:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wizzpop (Post 2774001)
We managed to fill our little Peugeot, which was down to the last few litres. Strange how panic buying affects your thoughts. We weren't that bothered last Friday when it all started, then virtually all the stations around here were closed.
We use the Peugeot for the once a week grandson's school run, nearly 40 miles in total, so were concerned this morning. Even this afternoon the two local stations were closed. Fortunately Tesco were open but only had 99 octane Momentum, no diesel, and they were nearly out.
I have half a tank in the Volvo so will wait for a few more days.
So, although trying not to panic buy, we ended up making a special, exploratory, journey to hopefully find fuel. Until we get back to normal, and people stop topping up every day, the problem will remain.

I’m glad you managed to fill your Peugeot and so can do your grandson’s school run. I suppose a tankful will be plenty for 5 or 6 40 mile school trips.
I’m pretty sure people will start getting bored with topping up every day soon (and from my experience this morn that has happened here in Corby) so the panic buying will taper off.

People are odd, I’ve heard stories about folk trying to fill plastic water bottles with petrol, how daft can people be!

Alan

Othen Sep 28th, 2021 19:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whippy (Post 2774005)
Lots of fuel here boyo, or as I call it...Freeeeeedom juice!

That is good, as far as I can see the problem has passed here as well. So, 4 days from start to finish - just due to panic buying (just like the toilet rolls).

TeamG Sep 28th, 2021 19:40

I saw a photo on a facebook group of a person not only filling 8 jerry cans, but also a small child’s paddling pool in their boot with unleaded!

Othen Sep 28th, 2021 19:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeamG (Post 2774014)
I saw a photo on a facebook group of a person not only filling 8 jerry cans, but also a small child’s paddling pool in their boot with unleaded!

What! Do you think it was a genuine photo or a photoshopped spoof? Surely i can’t have been genuine, can it?
Alan

tofufi Sep 28th, 2021 21:01

My better half is a key worker. Her car was down to 30 mile range, but we managed to get fuel tonight.

First 4 fuel stations we tried (all en-route on a journey we were making) were sold out. The 5th we didn't even have to queue - it was out of diesel but not petrol :)

Dippydog Sep 28th, 2021 21:52

Utter madness round here at the weekend with some places running out[Jet station near me-one of the dearest in the area for fuel-was one of the first to run out!]and huge queues.Joined a small queue first thing Sunday morning at Morrisons as we were going to Sywell in the V70.Today had to go into town and as it was near the red line I put some fuel in the 960,no queues,no problems.All the petrol stations I passed were open and operating normally.