Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   200 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Any Advice, Part 2! (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=308878)

Stephen Edwin Oct 3rd, 2020 10:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by loki_the_glt (Post 2669901)
First rule of Haynes manuals: ALWAYS check the ISBN. If someone quotes an ISBN in a post it's usually because they know that the topic is covered reasonably well by that version of the book.

I find the earlier ones are often more detailed, as they assume the owner will be willing/able to undertake more involved jobs as compared to the later ones, which will often "refer to a dealer" because "detailed information was not available at the time of going to press". This applies to the M90 box in 940s and to some of the late emissions control stuff on the last 240s.

Amen to that Loki ......

And earlier Haynes tend to be more likely to be right ... :mouth_closed: ...
did I say that ...

Chris152 Oct 10th, 2020 08:30

1 Attachment(s)
Well, the weather was awful last weekend so we didn't get around to it. Started with what I thought was the easy part, removing the small pulley, but we got nowhere! Apart from distorting the pulley (see pic).
We put the 3/8 bolt in the centre, used the gear puller and couldn't get it off.
Are we missing something, should something be removed before we can pull it off?
Thanks for any thoughts.
C

Othen Oct 10th, 2020 10:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris152 (Post 2672008)
Well, the weather was awful last weekend so we didn't get around to it. Started with what I thought was the easy part, removing the small pulley, but we got nowhere! Apart from distorting the pulley (see pic).
We put the 3/8 bolt in the centre, used the gear puller and couldn't get it off.
Are we missing something, should something be removed before we can pull it off?
Thanks for any thoughts.
C

Hi Chris,
I can't really see from the photo, does the pulley fit only a tapered shaft with a keyway? If it does then it will just pull off once you have removed the nut (didn't I send you an illustrated parts diagram of the original somewhere above?). If you aren't sure what a tapered shaft with a keyway looks like it then I'd say just take it to any local garage or workshop and they will tell you how it is fixed, that would be better than trying to guess from a photo on the internet.
Alan

PS. Here: https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...&postcount=102

Chris152 Oct 10th, 2020 10:59

2 Attachment(s)
You did, Alan - and we now have the original, too (the 74 - 86 handbook arrived in the week). The problem is, I don't recognise the pump we have in relation to it, I'm assuming it's the tapered one as there's no nut supplied, just a threaded hole. There is, though, what seems to be a hollow nut before the thread begins (pic) - I've tried to undo that, even used the breaker bar with the pulley held still in a vice, and it won't budge.
So it could well be off to a garage in the week to see what they say. Unfortunately the instructions that came with the pump are a bit thin!
Cheers, C

Othen Oct 10th, 2020 11:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris152 (Post 2672040)
You did, Alan - and we now have the original, too (the 74 - 86 handbook arrived in the week). The problem is, I don't recognise the pump we have in relation to it, I'm assuming it's the tapered one as there's no nut supplied, just a threaded hole. There is, though, what seems to be a hollow nut before the thread begins (pic) - I've tried to undo that, even used the breaker bar with the pulley held still in a vice, and it won't budge.
So it could well be off to a garage in the week to see what they say. Unfortunately the instructions that came with the pump are a bit thin!
Cheers, C

It looks like the nut-retained style in the instructions Chris. I suspect that torx type nut has to come off - check it is not a left handed thread (I wouldn't have thought so).

Alan

Stephen Edwin Oct 11th, 2020 11:14

Chris.

The books re the car are based on Volvo parts. The diagrams re those parts might still be useful re third party parts one hopes. The retaining nut in your photograph looks like what in some areas of engineering is called a hat nut. It might be fitted by an Allen key. It might be flank drive hex or it might perhaps be torx although the photograph does not convince me of that. To risk flames for stating the obvious, you might need to deploy a strap wrench around the pulley to undo the retaining nut.

How confident are you that the new pump is suitable for your car? And. Have you already checked if a Volvo part is available, new or of known quality second hand?

Edit P.S. .... You say approximately that the pulley is the wrong size. Is that actually important? And possibly the third party pump needs to run at a different speed? The speed will vary with engine speed anyway? Have you asked the seller about the pulley size and with reference to your car? Does the seller seem to be helpful and knowledgeable?

Good luck with the job.

Chris152 Oct 11th, 2020 12:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin (Post 2672275)
How confident are you that the new pump is suitable for your car? And. Have you already checked if a Volvo part is available, new or of known quality second hand?

Edit P.S. .... You say approximately that the pulley is the wrong size. Is that actually important? And possibly the third party pump needs to run at a different speed? The speed will vary with engine speed anyway? Have you asked the seller about the pulley size and with reference to your car? Does the seller seem to be helpful and knowledgeable?

It hadn't even occurred to me that the change in speed could matter, Stephen. :confused_smile:
The pump's sold as suitable for a 240, and it looks pretty much the same except the low pressure attachment comes out at a different angle, presumably based on use for a 740/ 940 (comments above). As far as I can tell it's supposed to be a one-size-fits all, and as there's info on pulling the pulley I'd assumed that was what you do for use on a 240 which has a clearly larger pulley, and which would allow use of the same belt. I've written to the seller today to ask about swapping the pulley. Truth is, if it needs to be that pulley we've ruined it by bending the pulley! But clearly the info supplied with the pump for fitting to a 240 is painfully inadequate, at least for the lad and me.
I chatted this morning with a neighbour who's just finished working at the Bridgend Ford plant which sadly closed its doors last week - he said electronic heating of some parts before fitting is quite common, but that it should still pull off.
I did search for a replacement Volvo part or a used one that definitely worked but didn't find anything - tbh, I think I'd be happy to pay for a used one now and write this one off, just to get the job done, it's the one thing on the car that spoils the driving experience. Once it's done, we can get on with the other advisories. Do they come up on here?
Thanks for your thoughts.

Othen Oct 11th, 2020 14:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris152 (Post 2672285)
It hadn't even occurred to me that the change in speed could matter, Stephen. :confused_smile:
The pump's sold as suitable for a 240, and it looks pretty much the same except the low pressure attachment comes out at a different angle, presumably based on use for a 740/ 940 (comments above). As far as I can tell it's supposed to be a one-size-fits all, and as there's info on pulling the pulley I'd assumed that was what you do for use on a 240 which has a clearly larger pulley, and which would allow use of the same belt. I've written to the seller today to ask about swapping the pulley. Truth is, if it needs to be that pulley we've ruined it by bending the pulley! But clearly the info supplied with the pump for fitting to a 240 is painfully inadequate, at least for the lad and me.
I chatted this morning with a neighbour who's just finished working at the Bridgend Ford plant which sadly closed its doors last week - he said electronic heating of some parts before fitting is quite common, but that it should still pull off.
I did search for a replacement Volvo part or a used one that definitely worked but didn't find anything - tbh, I think I'd be happy to pay for a used one now and write this one off, just to get the job done, it's the one thing on the car that spoils the driving experience. Once it's done, we can get on with the other advisories. Do they come up on here?
Thanks for your thoughts.

Hi Chris,

You could just run the new pump with the pulley it has, you might need a slightly shorter or longer belt, but otherwise it won't make a lot of difference as long as the ratio doesn't change too much. I think I'd try that - belts are cheap and widely available, so I don't think it would be hard to find one that fits.

This one shouldn't be too difficult to find a solution to - I think you would be much better off with the new pump you had (and either change the pulley or the belt) would be much better than an old one that might be no more good than the one you started with.

Alan

Stephen Edwin Oct 11th, 2020 15:15

Hello Chris.

I understand a bit better now thank you. Your concern is the belt length. Well yes, now you have that pump why not use it with a different length belt.

Good luck. And enjoy.

Stephen Edwin Oct 11th, 2020 18:13

Hello Chris.

Upon a little cogitation. If you do proceed with the pump you have bought, I would be inclined to change the pulley or pay an engineer to change it. Because. In future it might be inconvenient to have to find a non-standard belt whenever a new belt is appropriate.

Good luck whatever you decide.