Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Vodafone 100GB SIM not working (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=297482)

MtillingVolvo Jan 9th, 2020 10:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bladette (Post 2587532)
It is classed as a 2020 model?

Hi,

I have responded to your post on the spec check thread, but yes your car is a 2020 model year.

Bladette Jan 9th, 2020 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by MtillingVolvo (Post 2587533)
Hi,

I have responded to your post on the spec check thread, but yes your car is a 2020 model year.

Sorry probably didn't make my reply clear. As you kindly said it is a 2020 model so therefore should it have had a sim?

MtillingVolvo Jan 9th, 2020 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bladette (Post 2587562)
Sorry probably didn't make my reply clear. As you kindly said it is a 2020 model so therefore should it have had a sim?

I would say so, yes.

MattDell Jan 9th, 2020 14:57

For what it’s worth I struggled to get mine to work until I drove into London. I had a few minutes to wait in the car so thought I’d give this another try with loads more towers around. Sure enough it worked!

It could just be a coincidence but thought I’d share.

Erasableyeti Jan 25th, 2020 07:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by MtillingVolvo (Post 2544130)
Hi,

They can be a bit temperamental to get up and running, but find attached the full instructions. The first 2 pages should be done by the dealer, and then should just be a case of the customer following page 3....

Kind Regards

Marc

Thank you Marc, this helped me enormously! I followed your pdf instructions and when I changed the APN, the SIM connected and I got the globe icon in the corner of the car display but I still couldn’t register using my iPhone that evening. I tried again at 6am with an android phone (old SONY Experia Z3) and the Vodafone registration page popped up.
Before changing the APN I could connect to the cars WiFi hot spot but there was no internet, it looked like the SIM was dead but now I have my 100GB, thanks again.
Post #7 Gold Star :)

key76 Feb 1st, 2020 20:42

Collected new S90 today after a 9 month wait and a shocking dealer experience. But car is lovely.

Asked specifically about the data SIM and was told that they need to order one and it only has 2GB of data with Vodafone.

From this thread, I assume that is completely incorrect (no surprise given experience to date).

I tried to turn internet on via modem and it throws a SIM error.

Will the problem be that a SIM is needed from dealer or that one is in but not registered/setup?

I have a few things to go back about, so I have 100GB per month on my iPhone so am using that via bluetooth for now, but I want the in-car modem working.

ovlov04v Feb 1st, 2020 21:02

Perhaps the dealer hasnt read this press release from Volvo.

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/about/h.../services/iitc

They should have placed iit n the vehicle and completed the first part of the set up and then take you thru setting up your account etc.

Sadly, your experience is all too common these days. There have been/are problems with getting the SIM set up initially so that is probably why they have tried to fob you off. Charlatans dealing with technical matters that are apparently beyond the nous of the average car salesman. Time Volvo insisted that dealers have someone tech competent to handle these matters.

p.s. enjoy the car. The S90 was my first choice but I couldnt wait 8 months. Had to settle for an S60--hard life eh :-)
Hope this helps

key76 Feb 1st, 2020 21:23

So many things have gone wrong with my order that this doesn't surprise me one bit. But you're right - I come from many years of Mercedes ownership, and they also struggled to grasp this kind of stuff as well. Think it's common amongst many marques.

deeky6 Feb 3rd, 2020 22:32

Is this just a Vodafone sim issue? I'm expecting a '3' 20gb data sim tomorrow to go into my MY2019 S90 Inscription and was hoping it was just a matter of sicking the sim into the holder and away I go :confused_smile:

Wizzpop Feb 3rd, 2020 22:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by deeky6 (Post 2596396)
Is this just a Vodafone sim issue? I'm expecting a '3' 20gb data sim tomorrow to go into my MY2019 S90 Inscription and was hoping it was just a matter of sicking the sim into the holder and away I go :confused_smile:

I may be wrong but I had to find an unlocked phone to register my free '3' SIM before I put it in the car. But then I my phone is with Vodaphone.