Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Giving my '05 a 2010 facelift! (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=98596)

jasonb Aug 6th, 2010 16:50

Ben, picture attached!
The wheel is chunkier, more contours and has the aluminium inlay.
The airbag and controls just swap from the original.
See pic or my wheel!

jasonb Aug 6th, 2010 16:52

1 Attachment(s)
Piccy which did not take previously

Jonnieb2009 Aug 9th, 2010 20:39

JB
I thought I would tinker again with the DRLs.

Bought some of these waterproif ones. They are super bright 6000k but only 11cm x 1.5 which fits ideally where the existing Halford ones are

Item number 140417802771
I think they are bolt on so secure fixing at the back.

Pics to follow at wkend!
J

jasonb Aug 9th, 2010 22:32

Hey Jonnie, they look pretty good!
Would be interesting to see how bright they are!
I know the point of DRL's is for daytime running, have you considered only using them at night?
I wonder if it's possible to tap in to the night-time circuit utilised on the centre console and dash?

Looking like a christmas tree during the day has to be avoided!

Jonnieb2009 Aug 9th, 2010 22:46

Hi JB and thanks!

I dont know how to get wiring from engine bay to cockpit with any ease. I originally wanted to run drls via a spare fuse and switch in car. I took glove box out, saw rubber shroud leading into engine bay but couldnt for the life of me get a cable into the bay. The easiest way was to tap into headlamp sidelights. I suppose i could always get the main headlamps turned off by volvo as they are on all the. Time and then wire into these.
I think i will stick with them tapped into the sidelights for now

Rgds
J

Higgy50 Aug 9th, 2010 23:45

Jonnie / Jason,

I have looked into having the drls turned off and came up with the following quotes in the Bristol area:

Volvo = £50 + vat
Independent Volvo garage = £45 + vat
Independent Volvo garage = £25 + vat

Price is due to software that has to be ordered in apparently......So if you are thinking about it shop around!

Jonnieb2009 Aug 10th, 2010 08:02

1 Attachment(s)
These are the DRL's. they look pretty robust.
They are actually quite small 11x1.5cm but ideal to fit into the fog insert as anything bigger would look daft.

My existing Prism Leds from Halford are pretty good, not as 'bling' as these and are totally sealed/waterproof so no issues here. I have a spare set of fog inserts so will install the new ones onto these and I can swap them over or swap them back if I dont like them. I have put connectors behind the leds/fogs so I can easily remove or replace.

In fact I couldnt find anything half decent looking that would work with the Fog insert unless like you say chop down the larger led strips, seal the end then stick them to the insert?

:lightbulb:

jasonb Aug 10th, 2010 21:48

thanks Higgy, was one of the quotes from Elite?

Higgy50 Aug 11th, 2010 01:13

Yes it was but the cheapest (£25+vat) was from Shipham motor company who I use for my repairs on this current Volvo. I have found them pretty good to be fair and they are always at least 10% cheaper than Volvo.

My car is going in for brakes at beginning of Sept so I'll let you know how much they charge...

jasonb Aug 11th, 2010 10:35

Interesting, I need new front discs and pads.
I was toying with the idea of going for EBC discs and pads but the rear EBC pads make a hell of a noise as if the grease was not applied to the back of the pads.

What do you recommend, or just standard Volvo Parts?