Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   200 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Any Advice, Part 2! (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=308878)

Chris152 Oct 2nd, 2020 09:34

Thanks both - resolves the doubt I had in my mind about why the connector is horizontal on the pump, Bugjam.

Alan - I drove to a local garage this morning thinking maybe that's the way to go, save any faffing and more buying, but forgot my mask so couldn't go in! Driving home I decided this is silly, we're supposed to be learning all we can, the boy agreed so I'm ordering the pullers now, delivery tomorrow (I went with Amazon for that reason, still only £15).

One thing I'm not clear about - the bolt Haynes says to insert in order to pull the pully against is 3/8 inch x 2-3/4 inch - are all the bolts in the car imperial, or is that just for the American audience? Am I looking for M10? We have a good bolt supplier nearby so I can go fetch it whenever.

Also, Haynes says to attach the arms of the puller under the centre boss - that's the small diameter flange at centre, right?! Sorry, ever so basic, I know...

Othen Oct 2nd, 2020 10:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris152 (Post 2669656)
Thanks both - resolves the doubt I had in my mind about why the connector is horizontal on the pump, Bugjam.

Alan - I drove to a local garage this morning thinking maybe that's the way to go, save any faffing and more buying, but forgot my mask so couldn't go in! Driving home I decided this is silly, we're supposed to be learning all we can, the boy agreed so I'm ordering the pullers now, delivery tomorrow (I went with Amazon for that reason, still only £15).

One thing I'm not clear about - the bolt Haynes says to insert in order to pull the pully against is 3/8 inch x 2-3/4 inch - are all the bolts in the car imperial, or is that just for the American audience? Am I looking for M10? We have a good bolt supplier nearby so I can go fetch it whenever.

Also, Haynes says to attach the arms of the puller under the centre boss - that's the small diameter flange at centre, right?! Sorry, ever so basic, I know...

Hi Chris,
I think that is the right thing: do jobs yourself so you can fix it again in the future. You will need a puller anyway (every man needs a bearing puller), and £15 is not too much.

I can't find anything about 3/8" bolts in my BofH, it just says take the nut off and pull off the pulley. Looking at the drawing:

https://i.imgur.com/Dw96iWQh.jpg

... that looks right. It seems to be just a tapered shaft with a keyway to locate the pulley.

I think there might be a few imperial bolts here and there on older Volvos - but they are mostly metric cars.

Alan

Chris152 Oct 2nd, 2020 10:31

Thanks Alan - can you write the title and any specific (brief) details of the Manual you're using? We have 4 all the same (one bought in error, and two came with the car) and none have that kind of detail - I think we might have thought about overhaul if I'd seen a description. Dave tried hard to link me to the one I wanted but I still ended up getting the wrong one, repeatedly!

Othen Oct 2nd, 2020 10:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris152 (Post 2669677)
Thanks Alan - can you write the title and any specific (brief) details of the Manual you're using? We have 4 all the same (one bought in error, and two came with the car) and none have that kind of detail - I think we might have thought about overhaul if I'd seen a description. Dave tried hard to link me to the one I wanted but I still ended up getting the wrong one, repeatedly!

Of course Chris,

Here is a photo of the front cover:

https://i.imgur.com/UORSZQwh.jpg

... and here is the ISBN:

https://i.imgur.com/UyzTuiSh.jpg

... 1 85010 282 1

I've just read the piece about overhauling the pump on pp182, there is nothing too demanding in there, it is just held together with some circlips.

Alan

Chris152 Oct 2nd, 2020 11:02

Thank you Alan, sorry for being so demanding, we really appreciate your efforts. Attached is a pic of the titles we have, all exactly the same (except some page layout and very minor phrasing, none with the diagram that you posted and the most clear difference is that your diagram is on Section 11; in all four of ours, suspension and steering are in Section 10. Yet the title of our top copy is the same as yours, except the years covered.
I've a feeling there's a better version out there that we can't find! We'll keep hunting.

I called the local bolt supplier and he has what we need (3/8 x 2-3/4UNC, collecting later - and the hose just arrived. Maybe a Sunday job by the time the pullers arrive, if we don't get blown away in this wind!

Chris152 Oct 2nd, 2020 11:04

1 Attachment(s)
Forgot the attachment!

Stephen Edwin Oct 2nd, 2020 11:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris152 (Post 2669690)
Forgot the attachment!

Chris. "The Devil is in the detail". I think your books omit the 1974 to 1986 version. See Othen's picture posted above.

The diagram Othen posted is on page 182.

That edition of "The Haynes Book of Lies" (olde forum joke) has a lot of detail. It is also useful for ownes of newer 240s.

I hope that helps.

Chris152 Oct 2nd, 2020 11:32

Thanks Stephen - eyes will now be peeled for that edition of the book!

Edit to add - just bought a copy on the Bay for £4.95, including postage. Once I have the full set no doubt it'll be worth something to collectors... :-)

Othen Oct 2nd, 2020 11:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris152 (Post 2669703)
Thanks Stephen - eyes will now be peeled for that edition of the book!

Edit to add - just bought a copy on the Bay for £4.95, including postage. Once I have the full set no doubt it'll be worth something to collectors... :-)

All's well that ends well Chris. £4.95 is certainly a bargain for a BofH, and as you say, you will be able to sell the complete collection to an investor one day!

:-)

loki_the_glt Oct 3rd, 2020 08:30

First rule of Haynes manuals: ALWAYS check the ISBN. If someone quotes an ISBN in a post it's usually because they know that the topic is covered reasonably well by that version of the book.

I find the earlier ones are often more detailed, as they assume the owner will be willing/able to undertake more involved jobs as compared to the later ones, which will often "refer to a dealer" because "detailed information was not available at the time of going to press". This applies to the M90 box in 940s and to some of the late emissions control stuff on the last 240s.