Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   HUD or heated windscreen (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=283481)

Fursty Ferret Jan 5th, 2019 17:15

@quacker. Sorry, you’re wrong about this. The image generated in the HUD unit is projected onto a perfectly machined curved mirror, which you see reflected in the windscreen. The curves in both have to be precise or the image will be distorted or blurry.

You can just reflect a smartphone in the windscreen, but the virtual image will have the focus at the wrong distance. Plastic combiners in cheaper units are totally different technology.

Bash D Bishop Jan 22nd, 2019 07:41

HUD is a gadget that I can live without. Heated screen is a necessity I never want to be without. :tongwink:

I love how quickly the screen clears on a frosty morning. I use it as part of the Remote Start routine. Yesterday morning it was -6c and all the cars had a thick layer of hard frost on them. My car was clear within about 2 minutes.

volvocat Jan 22nd, 2019 11:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bash D Bishop (Post 2487470)
HUD is a gadget that I can live without. Heated screen is a necessity I never want to be without. :tongwink:

I love how quickly the screen clears on a frosty morning. I use it as part of the Remote Start routine. Yesterday morning it was -6c and all the cars had a thick layer of hard frost on them. My car was clear within about 2 minutes.

Agreed. I had a new XC60 loaner with HUD for a few days (long enough to give it a good trial) and whilst OK, I would hardly call it an indespensible necessity. Heated screen far more useful, even if only on more limited occasions.

Wizzpop May 24th, 2019 09:28

[QUOTE=Bash D Bishop;2487470]HUD is a gadget that I can live without./QUOTE]
I've followed this occassionaly with some interest. My V60 came with HUD, as I didn't specify the heated screen. Although I haven't missed a heated screen, I am not sure about the HUD. Having been driving for nearly 60 years I am so used to a quick scan of the instrument panel that I forget I have the HUD. a nice gimmick, although I would prefer it to be slightly higher on the screen.

gaby May 24th, 2019 15:54

You are aware that the position of the HUD can be adjusted?
Since the driver kan keep his eyes on the road ahead, I find a HUD a safety feature,
certainly while driving at high speed.
To me the heated windscreen is more a comfort feature (and one I have no use for).

Wizzpop May 24th, 2019 21:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaby (Post 2523291)
You are aware that the position of the HUD can be adjusted?

Yes, I adjusted mine as high as I could, but it is still in the lower part of my vision. Probably more a case of getting used to it.

gaby Jun 8th, 2019 21:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wizzpop (Post 2523356)
Yes, I adjusted mine as high as I could, but it is still in the lower part of my vision. Probably more a case of getting used to it.

The height of your seat will also make a difference.
But of course a comfortable seating position comes first.
I want the HUD to be rather low so that it can be read clearly on the black of the tarmac.

jonnyu Jul 31st, 2019 10:13

Just an additional info.
The HUD displays some information that is exclusive to the HUD. Most people think that the HUD just presents information that already exists on the dashboard but that's not true.

James77 Jul 31st, 2019 11:25

Agree the HUD is an excellent device/gadget lots of useful information presented not just current speed but also speed limit, nav, schools, right of way and caller information. Saves glancing down, glancing down is dangerous!!..

I also have a heated windscreen on the other car and the remote start performs that duty just as well if not better as the car is also warm/seats heated.

no need for a heated screen, the haters have got it wrong!!! :teeth_smile::tongwink:

BroadwayBlueshirt Jul 31st, 2019 14:32

Heated windscreen is a must for me. One of the reasons I went 140 miles to get my car.