Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Amazon: Amazon Estate Rolling Project (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=123242)

Burdekin Jul 28th, 2011 14:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by simonvolvo (Post 954978)
A weird set-up you have, IMHO. The proper (rectangular) filter element for the box has a soft rubber/plastics surround that forms the required seal with the bottom box half.

Weird? Why is that?

I’ve been having a think about sealing the box and if required I’ll put a split seal around the bottom box’s top edge and that should seal the box nicely. The idea was a cold air intake being fed from the front of the car but I can’t do it until the car is finished so I’ve mounted the cone filter onto the front of the air box. It doesn’t seem to radical or weird to me and will hopefully let a bit more colder clean air flow into the engine.

amazon69 Jul 28th, 2011 14:48

Mine is the same, and to seal inside the box I used an old volvo filter which I cut the middle out of, because the seal is the outside of the filter you get the best of both worlds...the box is a lot quieter and gives more torque than the pancake filters.

Burdekin Jul 28th, 2011 15:34

Very good idea about the old filter, never thought of that.

simonvolvo Jul 28th, 2011 20:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitch1971 (Post 955102)
Weird? Why is that?

Forgive my "newby" comment.

Never too old to learn.

Burdekin Jul 28th, 2011 21:10

No worries, no offence taken and welcome to the forum.

asneddon Jul 29th, 2011 22:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by amazon69 (Post 955128)
Mine is the same, and to seal inside the box I used an old volvo filter which I cut the middle out of, because the seal is the outside of the filter you get the best of both worlds...the box is a lot quieter and gives more torque than the pancake filters.

Why would the air filters affect torque? The engine will pull asuch air as it can. As long as te carbs are set right then they will supply the correct amount of fuel. More air+fuel=more power. If a restriction in the airflow results in more power then something isn't working right.

Actually, if you just replace the filters with better flowing ones and don't adjust the carbs, then I guess you would be running lean, so you would have less torque. It's not the air filters fault though.

Burdekin Jul 31st, 2011 09:34

Power is torque x revs so if you can increase power with a better breathing filter than torque increases. Filter surface area, filter medium, temp of air all effect how well the filter system will work.

Anyone done any comparisons between the types of filters available? Would be great to know how they compare against each other. From my limited knowledge something like the K&N panel filter will probably be best in standard form, a cold air induction may be slightly better with a modified engine but could be worse as I think the idea works better with larger engines but not sure and not sure about the pancake type filters, my thinking is they would be worse performing than panel or cone filters but have having not done any proper comparisons it really is just a guess. Anyone done any comparisons and what are people's opinions of the different types available?

Burdekin Aug 3rd, 2011 16:40

That’s the old girl all painted now, no pics yet though and can’t wait to see her. Graeme says she's looking good. Going up on the weekend to hopefully get her purring again…

pez Aug 3rd, 2011 21:25

looking forward to the pics mitch,mine gets put in primer on friday,then left all weekend to harden. i,ll post pics up as soon as ive took them.

Burdekin Aug 3rd, 2011 21:43

Excellent, it's great when the welding is done and having it in primer feels so close to finished. Look forward to seeing the pics...