Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   HUD or heated windscreen (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=283481)

Wizzpop Dec 6th, 2018 10:17

I like the HUD. Didn't bother with the heated screen. If it's frosty I put a fan heater in the car first thing, then all the windows are clear, and the car is warm. Oh for a nice warm garage.

uro1 Dec 7th, 2018 13:41

1 Attachment(s)
Well last Friday I was quite happy to have chosen the heated Windscreen. Had to activate it regularly in order to keep the screen free. Yes putting more heat on the screen might have also worked, but it would have heated up the car uncomfortably. That would have distracted my concentration and made a rather difficult drive so much more unbearable.

I Feel Old Dec 21st, 2018 14:22

Had I been choosing between the two I would have gone with the heated screen. In the event we bought a car which has a HUD, if I had to choose now I there's no doubt I would choose a HUD. If the screen was something I would use daily it may well be a closer call. However with the screen only being useful for the start of the journey a couple of handfuls of times year the HUD is a no brainier IMO.

Really useful bit of kit.

Superbenj Dec 31st, 2018 22:57

Both is the correct answer obviously.

As a HUDder however, I think if it was one or other, not having a heatd windscreen, I'd think I choose the windscreen now (may say different in the summer though!).

Superbenj Dec 31st, 2018 23:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crockers (Post 2419709)
Wow that’s the closest poll I’ve seen. Pity you can’t have both.

Oh, you can't have both? Why's that, seems weird, its just a reflection isn't it??

Im not sure the heated screen is an option at all in the US, cant remember seeing it when I was looking at getting my XC60

Fursty Ferret Jan 2nd, 2019 08:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superbenj (Post 2480530)
Oh, you can't have both? Why's that, seems weird, its just a reflection isn't it??

Im not sure the heated screen is an option at all in the US, cant remember seeing it when I was looking at getting my XC60

The part the HUD reflects into is machined to an exact profile, I think - something that can't be done with the heated windscreen due to the elements.

Quacker Jan 2nd, 2019 11:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fursty Ferret (Post 2480818)
The part the HUD reflects into is machined to an exact profile, I think - something that can't be done with the heated windscreen due to the elements.

:speechless-smiley-5

There is nothing machined into the windscreen. It is just an ordinary windscreen. You can have gadgets that project mobile phone screens into a HUD for any car. This is one that lays flat on the top of any dash and projects to the windscreen in the same way as a factory fit unit.

The reason that this kind of projector can't be used with the heated screen is that the wires are reflective and would interfere with the projected light and reflections. The type that projects to a little plastic false screen, such as fitted to Mini, is suitable for use with heated windscreens.

volvocat Jan 2nd, 2019 11:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quacker (Post 2480853)
The type that projects to a little plastic false screen, such as fitted to Mini, is suitable for use with heated windscreens.

Shame Volvo can’t offer that option, then...!

Quacker Jan 2nd, 2019 12:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvocat (Post 2480855)
Shame Volvo can’t offer that option, then...!

As an option, perhaps yes. They don't look as good though but the main drawback is that unless your seating position is very low behind the dashboard, the plastic screen doesn't extend upwards enough, therefore the display on the XC series, for example, would I suspect look like it was very low and on the bonnet instead of above it and a couple of feet in front of the bonnet.
I can't be sure without it being available of course.

al dm Jan 4th, 2019 18:46

I love the HUD on mine. I have really got used to it now and wouldn't want another car without it.

I do wish I could have a bit MORE information on it rather than just current speed, directional arrows if using Nav and current road speed limit though. I guess it does pop up City Safety icons and other things like speed camera warnings ahead, but I would like more. RPM for example.

I guess the Swedes decided that it should be as minimalist as possible.

For heated screen, I haven't missed that yet as I rather enjoy using remote start while I sit inside with a cup of tea and come out to a nicely defrosted car with warm seats and steering wheel.