Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Diesel Particulate Filter - recall

Views : 5871

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 17th, 2010, 16:49   #1
Fibre
Maurice

Default Diesel Particulate Filter - recall

I had a recall letter from my dealer in Northampton
--asking me to take my 2006 S60 D5 in for a recall.

Recall Campaign A29101

Something to do with the Diesel Particulate Filter - DPF ??

I took it last Friday and was told that they had found that bio-diesel fuel was leaching into the sump and raising the level of oil in the sump?
Their action for cure:-

Drain of oil in the sump to about 2/3 on the dip stick
Do a software update so that the oil level light don't come on too soon ?

I asked:-
-- if they had marked the dip stick with the new level -- NO.
-- if there was a new dipstick with the now corrected [?] level - NO
-- can you tell me the new capacity of the sump - NO

This concerns me as if I put my car in for service - the "mechanic" will fill the oil to the full level on the dip stick.. and so may cause problems..

Should I get a plate engraved to fasten to the dip stick to say "only fill to 2/3 full"
Should Volvo be more proactive and provide a new dip stick?
and or a label

Have others had this recall -- and what has been done??

Maurice

Last edited by Fibre; May 17th, 2010 at 16:51.
Fibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 18:26   #2
Ben Hur

So what is the recall on the DPF about?

The rising oil in the sump is a known problem caused by the 5% bio additive in the diesel fuel. The only diesel fuel that does not have this bio additive is Shell V-Power Diesel. This instead has a Gas to Oil additive exclusive to Shell. If you keep having this problem and it can't be fixed then try this fuel.
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 10:29   #3
chunderground
xc90 exec black+privacy

Have done a lot of reading up on the DPF on all makes and the following is the general consensus.

All manufacturers of euro IV compliant dpf diesels have regeneration problems if :-

1]the car runs on cheap diesel :- use low particulate diesel such as shell v-power and Bp Ultimate to eradicate problems

2] If the car is used on short runs and the revs rarely go above 2500, Run the car in lower gear with revs of 3500 for twenty mins to clear DPF of soot once every 400 miles.

3] The driving style is gentle and pedestrian. Give it some welly and apparently the engines loves it.(I drive like a granny so this one is hard for me)

I personally have had no problems but I use V-power diesel now as it appears to be worth the extra cost. Car runs quieter and has not regenerated since using it.Mpg seems to be 2mpg better but early days yet!

V-power also has added Liquified gas rather than bio diesel.Bio diesel is supposed to be the cause of oil levels rising as it gets into the sump during regeneration and does not evaporate.
chunderground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2010, 23:52   #4
cumbrianmale
Forum Support Team

Default Diesel particulate filter and rising oil levels discussion

There are a number of threads scattered around the various boards for the models affected and it has been suggested to keep the discussion here as the issue is particular to the engines and not the cars.

All the other discussions are indexed in that thread and can be linked to from there to read the previous discussions. If you know of any other discussions let me know and I will add them to the list.

Previous Volvos
90 240 GL B230FB Auto
96 940 CD
13 V40 D2 R-design
89 745 GLE
98 V90 3.0 24v
98 945 Celebration Auto
96 965 SE Auto
86 744 GL
81 244 DL
cumbrianmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 04:24   #5
Lancashire V70

Default This problem has not gone away

Hi
This problem does not seem to have gone away, I am a new poster on here because up to now I have owned a 2002 V70 D5 SE Auto that has been pretty bullet proof. Last Thursday I collected a 2007 registered C70 D5 SE LUX Auto with 42,000 miles on the clock and full dealer service history.
From the decall on the bonnet slam panel it appeared to have had the DPF/overfueling mods done and, looking at the paperwork and the dipstick, the dealer had done an oil and filter change with the oil level at the maximum mark. not the 3/4 mark that the new decall suggests. After a brisk but not silly 150 mile drive home along a mix of motorways, dual carriageways and fast A roads the engine service light was on and the dipstick showed that the oil level had increased by around 8mm. On Friday I accessed the stored codes and found EMC codes 6663 (heater plug/ relay on number 3 cylinder) and 5660 (oil level faulty reading) I therefore removed sufficient oil to return it to the reccomended 3/4 full level using our oil sampling facilities and this sample is on it's way to the laboratory. The engine service light went out after I cleared these two codes.

On Saturday, after an early morning cold start, there was no engine service light showing but out of curiosity I used the code reader which showed a fault code EMC 6663 so presumably I have a dodgy heater plug/relay.

Having driven the car around for about 50 miles over the weekend mainly on short local runs with the occasional bit of motorway the engine service light is back on and the oil level on the dipstick is marginally above maximum ie an increase of about 6mm, so in 200 miles the oil level has increased by around 14 mm or the equivalent of 1/2 litre of diesel entering the oil.
Lancashire V70 is offline   Reply With Quote