Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Soot Filter driving me crazy...HELP !

Views : 123037

Replies : 276

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 14th, 2008, 11:39   #1
tangey

Default Soot Filter driving me crazy...HELP !

Dec 2006, I bought a brand new S60 D5, my first ever Volvo and indeed my first Diesel.

Since then the Soot filter has been giving me problems. About 4-5 weeks after purchase I got "soot filter full- see manual", followed a few hrs later with "Engine System, service required" (or something like that) with the Engine going to about 1/2 power or less. Was told this was due to my driving style and that the soot filter need re-generating.

So religiously after that, as soon as I see the SOOT filter message I go for a 20-30 min run, and the message goes away.

Yesterday "soot filter full" came on the display, this is only around 3 weeks after the last full service. It wasn't suitable to go for a run, so went to do it today, but too late I'm back on 1/2 power with the "Engine system" message back on. Tried a 60 miles run, no good. 0-60 is around 25 seconds.

Phoned dealer, and have to book in for regeneration.

I have a couple of questions:-

1) I only do short runs, 6500Miles per year, I told the dealer this at time of purchase, and he could see that from my 3year old 20,000 trade-in. Shouldn't the dealer tell me Volvo diesel engine isn't suitable for me.

2) Having spoke to the service dept today, they have confirmed this is a "thing" with Volvo diesels. Are they really telling me that no modern Volvo deisel car is capable of constant short runs without having to keep going back to the dealer ? Or put another way their diesels exclude certain driving styles. Its not that I'm a slow driver, I love the power and torque of the Engine, its just that I only do a big run every 2-3 months

3) Is there no way I can re-generate this myself, once its went to the "engine system stage". My dealer is 70 miles away, its basically a full day off work.

Its went from being a mild annoyance to seriously considering taking a big hit on the price and getting something else.
tangey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tangey For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 20:54   #2
Jet2 D5
VOC Member

Post Particulate filter

Extend my sympathy, found myself in the same situation the dealer staff knowledge was nil (on purchase) until I started to enlighten them with a few operational facts.

There are a number of postings on this subject on the various forums but have concluded that searches no longer appear too specific, can recommend XC 90 forum: Service Issues: XC90 D5 engine DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter)

All you can do is mitigate the situation, watch out on the instant mpg read out for a big reduction from normal and then you could use a lower gear to speed things up, bear in mind regeneration will not start until operating temperature is achieved. If it does not complete it carries over to the next time.

I have had regeneration over 5 legs covering 40 miles and effectively lasting 70 min, if you are lucky to be doing 60+ it completes in about 15 min.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 21:14   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

The way this works is that regeneration happens on average every tank of fuel , so if you dont have a 20 minute run on the motorway at least once or twice a tankful you will get a message "Soot Filter full"
There are three stages to this
1 What you must do IF this message comes up is to go for a 20 minute motorway run as soon as possible . This will regenerate the filter and all is ok . YOU fix the problem , there will be a fault code stored in the sytem to let the service people know what's been happening .

2 If you ignore the message then it will go into limp mode and this regeneration will have to be done at the dealer on the computer , it takes over half an hour . And 2 codes will be stored to indicate that the first soot message was ignored ...

The third stage , if you ignore the limp mode for long , you will have to buy a new particle filter .

The emissions are very clean on this engine if you look at the tail pipe it will be clean with no soot . The particle filter is how this is achieved and with average driving you won't get a problem . You don't need an additive topping up every 36000 miles OR the particulate filter changing at 72000 miles as the Ford based engine in the s40/V50
Also a motorway trip will do ANY car a lot of good if its mainly used for short runs .....so make a small alteration to your driving and you wont even get the soot message at all .
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 21:34   #4
Viper_7
Premier Member

So I understand this better- I thought this filter from what I've read, is something that needs "regenerating" when it's stopped enough soot - and it does this by burning it off. So sure if you only do short trips, It never gets the chance to clean itself.

what I don't understand from a few comments is the requirement to go on the motorway for a high speed run I presume? Surely just any 20 min drive would be long enough and to get the car up to temperature to do the job.

This time of year the engine takes a good 7 miles to get warm, and run efficiently, anything shorter and yes it will get sooted up quite quickly, and yes this vehicle isn't really suited to short runs - no large engine car is.

vipes
Mods:
Volvo Tax disc holder - increases power output by 5%
Child Seat
Rear and side Volvo fitted blinds.
Tree Sap from May - July.
Removed at least 46 cup holders for weight reduction.
Viper_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 22:35   #5
tangey

Thank you for the replies, and the very helpful pointer to the XC90 forum.

Just for the record, on the most recent incident (and as I type I am waiting to go to the dealer this friday for manual regeneration), the distance between "soot filter full" and "limp mode" was about 5 miles, and 1 cold start.

Having looked at the manual previously I seem to recall it stating that the soot filter "full" comes on when its at 80% capacity.

Clearly there is little point in having a warning light give you no more than 5 miles warning, when a light comes on its just not convienent sometimes to drive 20 miles "there and then"
tangey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 00:22   #6
mhon72
Master Member

And use a decent branded diesel fuel.
On the subject of which, anyone used the Shell V-Power diesel? I've had good experience with the petrol but what about the black stuff?
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 09:47   #7
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhon72 View Post
And use a decent branded diesel fuel.
On the subject of which, anyone used the Shell V-Power diesel? I've had good experience with the petrol but what about the black stuff?
I usually use Esso diesel, just the normal stuff. With the Esso fuel I was averaging 46-47 mpg Cologne to Newcastle via Channel Tunnel.
On the return journey I tried a tank of V-Power diesel - OK, I know it usually takes two or three tanks for any change to become noticable - the fuel consumption dropped to just under 40mpg with the V-Power on my Euro3 D5.
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 10:30   #8
jezza5986

Same here - when we had overtime available at work then mine got V-Power deisel for about three months solid and the MPG dropped a wee bit. Am now back on normal Shell deisel and no appreciable difference in performance.
jezza5986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 21:06   #9
Lesley1607

I've just got this message for the first time driving home tonight so Googled to see what it meant and found this site and this thread.

What confuses me is that I do a LOT of motorway driving regulalry and had in fact just come off a motorway after a clear drive home of about an hour. I've had the car just over three years (It had it's first MOT last month) and have never seen this message before.

I can't have the car go wrong this weekend as I'm going on holiday really early on Monday morning and have so much to do beforehand and no time at all over the weekend, and I have to drive to the airport on the morning of my flight, leaving the car there while I'm away - the thought of it breaking down and me missing my flight is very worrying.

I'm about to go out now for a drive as Clan has recommended but I am worried that it will not clear it as I had been motorway driving anyway !!!
Lesley1607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lesley1607 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 22:04   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

The regeneration process can take about 20 minutes it needs sustained higher rpm to do the job .