Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 Fuel Filter measurements ? /white smoke turbo question

Views : 2833

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 17th, 2011, 23:29   #1
Volvoline
Master Member

Default S40 Fuel Filter measurements ? /white smoke turbo question

Hey. I can't seem to find the OEM fuel filter for the 03' P3 S40 2.0T.
The dealer is ripping me off.

The parts store asked me for OEM measurements so they can sell me a fitting generic one.

What are the measurements of the OEM part ?

ALSO

I just fitted a brand new Turbo unit in my car, and at first, there was a lot of white smoke coming out of the exhaust and the turbo area itself, after a few minutes a little less...
Is this normal ? I put cheap oil in the engine to flush it, and I was told I need to leave the engine running for a couple of hours until all the oil in the system burns, then replace the oil filter and put high grade oil again.

Is this correct/normal ?

Last edited by Volvoline; Jun 17th, 2011 at 23:49.
Volvoline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 23:38   #2
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvoline View Post
Hey. I can't seem to find the OEM fuel filter for the 03' P3 S40 2.0T.
The dealer is ripping me off.

The parts store asked me for OEM measurements so they can sell me a fitting generic one.

What are the measurements of the OEM part ?

ALSO

I just fitted a brand new Turbo unit in my car, and at first, there was a lot of white smoke coming out of the exhaust and the turbo area itself, after a few minutes a little less...
Is this normal ? I put cheap oil in the engine to flush it, and I was told I need to leave the engine running for a couple of hours until all the oil in the system burns, then replace the oil filter and put high grade oil again.

Is this correct/normal ?
How much is the generic one?

Try Rufe or try this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Genuine-Volvo-...item4cf7726f6b

No idea about turbo though sorry. Other experts here might be able to help
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 23:50   #3
Volvoline
Master Member

That looks like a more reasonable price !!!
He wants 8 dollars for a generic one...

Do you have measurements of this anywhere ? (inlet, outlet, diameter, total length)
Otherwise I'll just order this but it's gonna take time for delivery and all....
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 00:02   #4
gatos
Premier Member

Does Jer stand for Jersey Island or somewhere else (as you mentioned $ instead of £)

I try to use OEM parts for most everything on my car and try to avoid generic ones. But again it depends on the price and what part it is.
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 00:03   #5
neanderthal
Master Member

Default volvo

hi,i replaced my turbo(re-conditioned) a few days ago,made sure i cleaned all pipes and cleaned intercooler out with brake fluid,and egr valve etc etc(followed advice on forum) on the first run i was concerned as there was a lot of white smoke.but then my fears where less after another run,and now all is fine....i used halfords own 10-40 oil(mobil) and oil filter from volvo dealer.
neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 00:05   #6
neanderthal
Master Member

Default volvo

repeated

Last edited by neanderthal; Jun 18th, 2011 at 00:08. Reason: twice
neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 00:21   #7
Biotoxic
Master Member

neanderthal and anybody else, If you fit a new turbo, after a quick drive don't switch the engine off, wait at least 30 seconds or even better, a minute. This will cool turbo down a bit, it will help to prolong turbo's life. If you switch off the engine immediately oil can burn on to the pipe or bearings. Over time it will collect around those parts and blockage could occur.
If you don't want to wait, you can fit turbo timer(it will switch off the engine after set time) it is legal to use if you are parked on your own driveway, but you have to stay in your car if it is on public roads. If you leave your car when the engine is running and police will see that, they could give you a penalty.

Law says something about.. its illegal to leave your car running unattended on public roads... or close to that.
I was searching ebay about those devices and then I found a forum, when its legal and when it is not. I am thinking about fitting that thing and remote starter to my volvo as well, it will came in handy in cold winter day
Biotoxic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Biotoxic For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 00:40   #8
Volvoline
Master Member

So now it's too late to clean pipes etc ? I already fitted everything but didn't wash any pipes
The engine runs fine now besides the white smoke from under the bonnet and exhaust (that slowly goes away)- Should I take everything apart and clean or do you just mean I need a good engine bay wash with some degreaser ?

Thanks for the turbo tip above,, useful for my brand new unit. Hope it would last

Last edited by Volvoline; Jun 18th, 2011 at 00:50.
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 01:19   #9
Biotoxic
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvoline View Post
So now it's too late to clean pipes etc ? I already fitted everything but didn't wash any pipes
The engine runs fine now besides the white smoke from under the bonnet and exhaust (that slowly goes away)- Should I take everything apart and clean or do you just mean I need a good engine bay wash with some degreaser ?

Thanks for the turbo tip above,, useful.
IF it does build up then it will be mostly after long journey , fast driving or long driving uphill/towing a caravan. It will build up mostly where turbo or other hot parts meet oil. It means, if you push your turbo car hard, then leave it idle for a while or oil will/could burn to the metallic parts.. to keep this simplified:
Imagine, you(or your wife) are heating milk(or making a sauce) in stainless steel pan, when that pan's surface gets hot, contents inside will start to bubble, if you don't stir it, it will start to burn and then it sticks to the bottom(like scorched milk), and you can smell that. Same things happens INSIDE those pipes as well. That's why dealers recommend changing those pipes when you install a new turbo In your case Volvoline I would remove those pipes and clean them(if you fitted a new turbo)

I am leaving my car idling for a few moments before I switch off the engine, just to give the turbo time to cool down.

Last edited by Biotoxic; Jun 18th, 2011 at 01:24.
Biotoxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 10:08   #10
960kg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biotoxic View Post
neanderthal and anybody else, If you fit a new turbo, after a quick drive don't switch the engine off, wait at least 30 seconds or even better, a minute. This will cool turbo down a bit, it will help to prolong turbo's life. If you switch off the engine immediately oil can burn on to the pipe or bearings. Over time it will collect around those parts and blockage could occur.
If you don't want to wait, you can fit turbo timer(it will switch off the engine after set time) it is legal to use if you are parked on your own driveway, but you have to stay in your car if it is on public roads. If you leave your car when the engine is running and police will see that, they could give you a penalty.

Law says something about.. its illegal to leave your car running unattended on public roads... or close to that.
I was searching ebay about those devices and then I found a forum, when its legal and when it is not. I am thinking about fitting that thing and remote starter to my volvo as well, it will came in handy in cold winter day

......Yes, i also agree with what you say, but, if you live within 100yds of the end of the motorway then let it run for a while before turning off......most people are in a slow 30mph limit before home so that action does not really apply......even better if you use the correct oil for your drivings habit`s then no burnt carbon build up will occur in the turbo pipes as this is what the oil is meant for.......all these devices are just to worry you and pry money from your wallet......i have used Volvo turbo`s for years and i use them with no trouble at all.......but as usual everyone to there own devices!!.......

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote