Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Removing/Fitting the starter motor...

Views : 1117

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 8th, 2007, 19:47   #1
s julian j

Default Removing/Fitting the starter motor...

Hi all,
I'm in charge of a 1988 240GL 2.0l engine (Hurray!) but the starter motor has recently died so I got hold of a new one to replace it.
However, I have just discovered that, while attempting to replace it, getting to atleast one of the two bolts that attaches the starter motor is almost physically impossible to get to from either above or below the engine.
Has anyone any experience and advice relating to my issue?
I can't imagine that the car has such a flaw in it's design, and perhaps lowering the whole engine is the only way to get to the two bolts - surely thats not necessary for a relatively minor task!!?

Who of you has removed and fitted their starter motor without any major issues?

Any advice and experience is warmly welcomed.

Regards,
Jonathan
s julian j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 20:04   #2
Fivehundred

You definately don't need to lower the engine. A socket and a wobbly extension bar should do it. I can't remember it being more than a 10 minute job.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 21:58   #3
Velorum
VOC Member

I found it a bugger of a job from the top - easier form underneath with the car up on ramps.

Sods law dictates that any job described as straightforward (only takes x number of minutes) will be a complete swine due to rusted on bolts, tools that you thought were good but are really crap quality, the makers desire to fit just about every size of nut know (and guess which spanner or socket you wont have?) etc etc. Best approach such things with a Zen like calm - I would recommend calm contemplation, some peppermint tea and empathetic vibes towards the part in question.

Failing that, drink three glasses of whiskey, hit it with a lump hammer and swear at the cat............
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 22:14   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

i've had no trouble a 19 mm (18mm on later models) combination spanner will reach the top bolt from the engine bay and the lower bolt from underneath but a socket with universal joint will do both from underneath ...
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 22:55   #5
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Hutchinson View Post
Best approach such things with a Zen like calm - I would recommend calm contemplation, some peppermint tea and empathetic vibes towards the part in question.

Failing that, drink three glasses of whiskey, hit it with a lump hammer and swear at the cat............
No, no, no Ian...

Straight in with a good Coffee kick, THEN head straight for the lump hammer!

In fact, it is always best to bring out the lump hammer, make sure the car sees the hammer, whisper quietly to the car that the hammer is good, heavy and always close by..

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 08:08   #6
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

The top one is usually reckoned to be the difficult one. I have never had any difficulty using a ring spanner, from above, but on back to front so that the shank is angled away from the bulkhead. Cut the other end off if necessary to gain clearance, and then use a lever on the stump.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 03:55   #7
jorhyne

Hi guys, I discovered this forum in a quest to figure out how to remove the starter from my 1989 Volvo 240. I have been scouring the internet in search of the answer. This thread has some real insights into this predicament. I am from the U.S. and am not up to speed on the UK lingo. The word spanner for example I had to look that up and noticed it is the same thing as wrench. Ring spanner is a box end wrench. Is a wobbly extension the same thing as an extension with a universal joint? If using a ring spanner would an offset ring spanner be best?

I don't see how you get a spanner on the top bolt from the engine bay. I tried that and it looked impossible.

Regarding working from underneath, I was able to get a socket with a long extension and a universal joint on the bolt but it won't budge. There is just no room to get a good tug on the socket as the transmission is in the way. The bottom bolt I put a 19mm combination spanner on it and had to use my foot to break it loose. I can't use my foot for the top bolt. Any ideas how to break it loose? This must be the factory starter with the bolts this tight. I do not understand why the Volvo engineers made the starter so difficult to remove.

Last edited by jorhyne; Oct 20th, 2007 at 04:10.
jorhyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 14:43   #8
malb

Yes, they can be dog to shift the first time.

An offset ring spanner from the engine bay is a good shot. This is a box end wrench, but with the ring component offset from the handle, probably about 3/4 to 1 inch in the size range required. This normally gives some knuckle room. To use this in this application, the offset is reversed, so the ring is behind the handle which will be close to the firewall. Force would be applied via the other ring on the wrench.

In the US, this may clash with the brake booster.

A wobbly extension is an extension bar with the drive square reduced in size at either end if the flats so that the extension can operate at up to 10 degrees out of line with the bolt or socket axis (Think allong the lines of a ball headed hex key in 1/2 inch drive).

To take this route, lift the car a reasonable amount and use as long a set of extensions as possible to get back past the bellhousing. (Further if possible). Use a decent breaker bar initially to "crack" the grip, then complete with a ratchet.

I have a cheap but effective 24in extension, and combine that with another extension and the breaker bar. This gets me back past the end of the transmission.

The first time I had to do this in about 1980, I had a cheap 3/8 drive socket set and a kit of open ended wrenches. It was harder than with the comprehensive kit, but still possible.

malb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 16:41   #9
jorhyne

Hi malb, thanks for the tips. I just got through doing the very thing you suggested with the long extension (many extensions combined to make one long extension) a universal joint at the end of the extension connected to the 19mm socket with a breaker bar to break the bolt loose. It was extremely tight but I managed to get it loose. Now that I installed the new starter, I learned the problem is not my starter! When I attempt to start the car, I hear clicking sounds, some other weird sounds that I can't describe and some sounds coming from the starter, and the emergency flasher lights come on and start blinking. All of these sounds and hazard lights blinking occurred before with the old starter. I assume the hazard lights blinking is trying to tell me something? I know the issue is not the battery as it is a brand new one I got a week ago. Any ideas what this can be? Now I must clean the new starter up and take it back. I hate to spend $120 for nothing!

Last edited by jorhyne; Oct 20th, 2007 at 16:47.
jorhyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 18:46   #10
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

This sounds like dirty or poor battery contacts or an earthing issue. Check in particular that the engine earth strap is ok.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote