Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

vvt pully, timming belt

Views : 4738

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 29th, 2012, 12:22   #1
amber2011

Default vvt pully, timming belt

i have just changeed the timing belt on a 2002 2 litre petrol non turbo v40 i checked the timing marks and they are all ok the compression on all cylinders is between 125-130 psi so know all the valves are ok but i am having trouble getting it to run on all 4 cylinders i have also checked ht leads and both coil packs and put a new set of plugs in and still get miss fire on cylinders 4 and 1 i have been told that the vvt pully could need resetting but other then on 1 post in another forum i can not find any information on this and it was in a vauxhall forum so not sure if this would aply to a volvo and if it does how would i do it

many thanks in advance from a first time poster
amber2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2012, 22:15   #2
GaryS40
VOC Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber2011 View Post
i have just changeed the timing belt on a 2002 2 litre petrol non turbo v40 i checked the timing marks and they are all ok the compression on all cylinders is between 125-130 psi so know all the valves are ok but i am having trouble getting it to run on all 4 cylinders i have also checked ht leads and both coil packs and put a new set of plugs in and still get miss fire on cylinders 4 and 1 i have been told that the vvt pully could need resetting but other then on 1 post in another forum i can not find any information on this and it was in a vauxhall forum so not sure if this would aply to a volvo and if it does how would i do it

Hi there

I am not a mechanic, but I can say that the VVT system on the Volvo engine is controlled with a pulley, attached to the end of the front cam and driven by the timing belt.

The pulley wheel controls a shuttle valve, that in turn, operates the VVT system.

It would not cause a cylinder to misfire and cannot be reset.

I am sure someone else will be able to offer some more information soon.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Gary
Mod's so far: Orpheus alloys, 10.1" android multimedia head unit, Nappa leather rebuilt, wood trimmed m/function steering wheel, Polestar blue and black calipers, Pipe Dynamics custom turbo back stainless steel exhaust, with 200 cell sports cat, R engine and injector rail covers, tinted rear windows.
Previous cars:
1982 760 GLE saloon
1989 740 GLE estate
1991 440 S
2003 S40 S - Gone but not forgotten. ☹
16 non Volvos.
GaryS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2012, 21:51   #3
amber2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS40 View Post
Hi there

I am not a mechanic, but I can say that the VVT system on the Volvo engine is controlled with a pulley, attached to the end of the front cam and driven by the timing belt.

The pulley wheel controls a shuttle valve, that in turn, operates the VVT system.

It would not cause a cylinder to misfire and cannot be reset.

I am sure someone else will be able to offer some more information soon.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Gary
I phoned riverside (doncaster) volvo up today and he confirmed this for once speaking to a dealer mechanic was better then hitting my head off a wall which is a first as i have dealt with a lot of dealers both in the car and truck trade instead of telling me to fetch it in he told me that the timing belt could be a tooth out on either cam shaft so after trying all variations out i called them back and he informed me it would be the vvt pulley which he gave me a quote of £160 from them he then phoned me back an hour later and tolkd me to phone volvo cardiff up cause the price is £120 delivered to my door which just shows some dealers want to steal more and some staff can't do enough to help

thanks for the help
amber2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2012, 22:25   #4
georgehifi

Quote:

Double check the orientation of those plug packs and leads, I swear mine were right after doing the timing belt, but after the third look at it and much ripping out of my hair they were wrong.

Cheers George

Mick Doohan power sliding at 160kph with opposite lock. Poetry in motion!
georgehifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2012, 23:02   #5
gatos
Premier Member

I will have to agree with Gary, asI can't see the VVT causing the misfire. But then again I am not a mechanic...... Wrong timing would make a lot more sense

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2012, 23:29   #6
magnuz
Ancient

I can't really see it being the vvt either,they normally just make that horrible noise when they're knackered. As for resetting the vvt,as far as i can make out, they usually go to a set /default position when the engine stops !
Although the timing marks may line up on the cam sprockets, have you checked the crankshaft is in the correct position?
Also have you tried swapping( with one another) the coil packs over, if the misfire then happens on 2&3 then it would point to a faulty coil pack !
magnuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2012, 23:34   #7
scottishvolvo
Premier Member

What George said. Coil pack on 4 also does 1. Make sure all leads are right and the connector is secure on the coil.
2014 V40 Cross Country
Please consider registering with the Anthony Nolan Trust, you could save a life.
scottishvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2012, 23:49   #8
chomerly

I have to agree with the general consensus here that it is doubtful that the VVT pulley is the culprit.

The fact that you have the misfire on 4 & 1 only would suggest a secondary look at the ignition system is necessary.
Re-check all leads and coil packs and, if you have to, get them all replaced.

A good short test to isolate whether the coil packs are at fault is to swap the coil pack attached to 3 & 2 with the one on 4 & 1 and see if the misfire happens on the other cylinders.
If it does then i would replace the coil pack.
If it doesn't then you could look at swapping them back over to their original configuration and try swapping the HT leads over to see if that does anything.

If neither swapping over the packs and the leads do anything then you can start looking at the cylinder timing.
Old Aug 1st, 2012, 01:05   #9
rexer12
Premier Member

Quote:
I phoned riverside (doncaster) volvo up today and he confirmed this for once speaking to a dealer mechanic was better then hitting my head off a wall which is a first as i have dealt with a lot of dealers both in the car and truck trade instead of telling me to fetch it in he told me that the timing belt could be a tooth out on either cam shaft so after trying all variations out i called them back and he informed me it would be the vvt pulley which he gave me a quote of £160 from them he then phoned me back an hour later and tolkd me to phone volvo cardiff up cause the price is £120 delivered to my door which just shows some dealers want to steal more and some staff can't do enough to help

thanks for the help
blimey thats a first for doncaster
Old Aug 1st, 2012, 13:43   #10
960kg
Premier Member

If it was the VVT or the belt a tooth out then how come only 1 & 4 misfire?

It would make ALL four cylinders misfire.

I know your not turbo but if you have other plugs in it although new i would change them for Volvo plugs first then if nothing sorted look at the coils as others have said.....but whatever you do start with the cheaper parts first and work more expensive......

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 960kg For This Useful Post:

Tags
timing belt, vvt