Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Gear selection

Views : 614

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 8th, 2024, 14:34   #1
VolvoRoyS

Default Gear selection

The gear knob on my car has always been loose in my ownership. I attempted to solve this problem the other day by taking the knob off and wrapping PTFE tape (used in plumbing) round the the threads and then screwing the knob back on securely. I think the shaft may have turned when I did this and now find that I cannot engage any gears while the engine is running. What have I done?
Looked at the manual and it says remove the gear lever; but what does this mean? I can see from the diagram that the gear lever goes into a long extension. Can all this be removed from working inside?

Car is 1973 1800ES

Roy

Last edited by VolvoRoyS; May 8th, 2024 at 15:08.
VolvoRoyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2024, 19:41   #2
powen1

Roy

the gear stick on your car should have the round gear knob this is screwed onto a Chrome shaft that from memory is held in place with rubber rings around the steel gear stick that goes into the gearbox - I believe that the chrome part can be just pulled off (will take some effort) EDIT their is a cir clip in the chrome piece that will need to be removed . if you remove your gearstick gater (rubber) you can see that the steel gearstick is connected into the extension part of the gearbox a large round bolt over the top can be removed - but I would check the operation once the chrome part has been removed hope this helps
Paul
see attached pic see part on right for exploded view
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1301060309l.jpg (112.7 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by powen1; May 8th, 2024 at 19:52.
powen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2024, 20:43   #3
VolvoRoyS

Quote:
Originally Posted by powen1 View Post
Roy

the gear stick on your car should have the round gear knob this is screwed onto a Chrome shaft that from memory is held in place with rubber rings around the steel gear stick that goes into the gearbox - I believe that the chrome part can be just pulled off (will take some effort) EDIT their is a cir clip in the chrome piece that will need to be removed . if you remove your gearstick gater (rubber) you can see that the steel gearstick is connected into the extension part of the gearbox a large round bolt over the top can be removed - but I would check the operation once the chrome part has been removed hope this helps
Paul
Yes it does. I have removed the centre console and can see a large nut holding down the gear lever. The manual says nothing about removing the the large nut; just says: remove gear lever.

I now think that I have done no damage tightening the knob even though the problem arose immediately after. Reading other's problems with gear selection it looks more like that this is a clutch adjustment issue. Perhaps someone can confirm this.

Roy
Old May 8th, 2024, 23:49   #4
morwenna240

Well, recently I found it harder to engage from standstill. A peer underneath revealed that clutch adjust locknut had come loose, allowing bolt to adjust in. A few mins restored perfect engagement an changes. This on a PV.
morwenna240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2024, 03:29   #5
142 Guy
Master Member

It is unlikely that rotating the shift lever is causing your balky shift problems. My 142 has a similar outer chrome lever stuck on the shift lever proper and held in place by a couple of rubber bushings. As the bushings age the outer lever becomes quite free to rotate and gets a little floppy - quite noticeable with the early 140 long lever. My lever would rotate enough that on occassion 1 st was down and to the right. As noted, there is a circlip at the base of the outer lever that has to be removed to pull the outer lever off. You don't need to remove the big nut on the transmission extension unless you want to fiddle with the inner lever.

Does the 1800 ES have a cable or hydraulic release clutch? If it is a hydraulic clutch check the reservoir level. The MC or the slave cylinder may have developed a leak with the result that the slave is no longer releasing the clutch. If it is a cable, the procedure for adjusting is set out in the service manual.

Early vintage M40 / M41 were noted for developing cracks in the clutch release fork which would result in non operation of the clutch. I would have thought that an 1800 ES would have the later improved release fork.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2024, 15:41   #6
VolvoRoyS

It is a cable clutch. There is very little free play at the fork end so would have thought increasing it to 3-4 mm wouldn't help. Got my wife to operate the clutch from within the car while I watched underneath. Lever moved; didn't seem to be broken. I had backed the car out of the garage last week without this problem. Inside, the clutch feels normal. So what else could have broken?

Roy