Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

woshing noise

Views : 1774

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 11th, 2020, 21:35   #21
xco
Premier Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nullsleep View Post
£400.... if it costs that much I will just scrap it

But on other cars I have had good resoltes with epoxy and fixing cracks, and if need be I will replace my self, but at £150 for a new one is still steap
Good luck
Wherever you go............There you are!!!
xco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2020, 11:41   #22
400-ascona
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
I'd have thought that JB Weld would do the trick as long as you can get the cracks and local area 110% oil free. Maybe add 2 or 3 lengths of welding rod to add to the rigidity. What's the max it's likely to have to resist. 20PSI? You should be so lucky!
A second for JB Weld. Used it on a pair of RS6 intercoolers and still working fine. Ideally you need to prepare the surface really well and I seem to remember warming it too. Rob
Old Aug 16th, 2020, 19:31   #23
Nullsleep

Well i will be doing this tomorrow, going to a friends house as he has a nice place to park thats under cover, we going to remove the intercooler complety as i want to check that there is no other damage to any thing else and will clean the intercooler inside out before epoxying it up. will let you know how it goes.

there is nother problem now as the ABS light keep coming up then going some times staying on, as i understand this is an easy fix if your good with a soldering iron like me, got a reflow/hotair solder station here so going to be pulling that off tomorrow and fixing that.
Nullsleep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nullsleep For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2020, 14:38   #24
Nullsleep

Well the crack is all fixed and wow with boost makes a big difference, well happy now, just the cv joint and abs to sort out and maybe look into why the ac don't work
Old Aug 18th, 2020, 04:11   #25
xco
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nullsleep View Post
Well the crack is all fixed and wow with boost makes a big difference, well happy now, just the cv joint and abs to sort out and maybe look into why the ac don't work
Im glad you were able to repair it cheaply mate unfortunately mine was past being able to be repaired which was why i advised you to have it done properly and how much it should cost.

All good then.

Told you it goes like a greased snake afterwards,hell of a difference isn't it.

Love the confidence inspired now when overtaking eh?

I see you have a problem with your air con now,is this since the intercooler repair or before ? the reason I ask is because one of those three radiators you had to seperate to get to the intercooler is air con related and something may have been disturbed in strip down or also corroded.
Wherever you go............There you are!!!
xco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2020, 10:19   #26
Nullsleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xco View Post
Im glad you were able to repair it cheaply mate unfortunately mine was past being able to be repaired which was why i advised you to have it done properly and how much it should cost.

All good then.

Told you it goes like a greased snake afterwards,hell of a difference isn't it.

Love the confidence inspired now when overtaking eh?

I see you have a problem with your air con now,is this since the intercooler repair or before ? the reason I ask is because one of those three radiators you had to seperate to get to the intercooler is air con related and something may have been disturbed in strip down or also corroded.
I will still get a 2nd hand one as this is a big crack and I can't see it holding for ever.

yer, pull out plant foot and ops passed 10 cars haha
No idea what this "S" button is like that's in front of the gear leaver

The ac has never worked while the intercooler was out I had a look at the condenser and can't see any damage to it, will get it regassed and see what happens, but abs and cv joint is before that, might get a garage to help with the cv joint as took a look at the hub nut and I think it will put up a fight.

Last edited by Nullsleep; Aug 18th, 2020 at 10:22.
Old Aug 18th, 2020, 12:53   #27
Martin Cox
VOC Member

With regard to the air conditioning, the evaporator is a known weak point on the Ph 1 V70. Mine failed in 2008. If I'd known how long I was going keep the car, I'd have had it done then.

It's an awkward job involving dismantling the whole of the dash to gain acces to it. There are different evaporators for LHD and RHD cars. The RHD ones seem to be virtually unobtainable now and no the LHD one won't do.

You may be lucky and any leakage may be somewhere else. another point to note is that there is no high pressure port on the a/c system, just the low pressure one.

I'm assuming you have the 4 speed transmission with S,E and W buttons. The S button results in the transmission staying in the lower gears for longer. I find it of some use in hilly country but otherwise I leave it in E.

The W button results in the transmission setting off in third gear and only using gears 3 and 4 when the lever is in D. It's supposed to reduce wheelspin in snow or ice. I've never used it. With the lever in L and W selected, the transmission is locked in 1st gear.

Hope this is of some help.

Martin

1998 V70 Tdi auto 226,000 miles
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Martin Cox For This Useful Post: