Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Abandoned 79 Volvo 245 - lets save it...

Views : 2928

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 14th, 2024, 06:20   #31
Simpsonsclassics
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morwenna240 View Post
I have heard tell of an unused crate B20. .
Personally, I have a good 2.3 turbo sitting about I no longer need.
Oh really that would be cool a original crate motor.

This is one if my ideas on the car to eventually do this but going to see how good the B21 is and go from the the next episode of the car will confirm all I guess is a runner or not...

regards
79 Volvo 245 DL
03 P2 V70 D5
Simpsonsclassics is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simpsonsclassics For This Useful Post:
Old May 14th, 2024, 13:05   #32
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonsclassics View Post
Oh really that would be cool a original crate motor.

This is one if my ideas on the car to eventually do this but going to see how good the B21 is and go from the the next episode of the car will confirm all I guess is a runner or not...

regards
Just as I did above: I’m getting confused about whether we are talking about a motor for the Amazon or the 1979 245? B20 is the older OHV upright 4 cylinder motor - good for the Amazon, but wouldn’t fit a 245. The B21 in the 245 is the OHC slant 4, which wouldn’t fit the Amazon.

If the B18 motor in your Amazon is no good then the crated B20 would be a really good solution (depending on cost of course).

I got the impression from the early part of this thread that you intended to warm up the 1979 245 a bit. If I’ve understood then the 2.3 turbo motor someone was talking about above would be a better proposition than trying to improve the B21.

Old May 14th, 2024, 14:28   #33
Simpsonsclassics
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Just as I did above: I’m getting confused about whether we are talking about a motor for the Amazon or the 1979 245? B20 is the older OHV upright 4 cylinder motor - good for the Amazon, but wouldn’t fit a 245. The B21 in the 245 is the OHC slant 4, which wouldn’t fit the Amazon.

If the B18 motor in your Amazon is no good then the crated B20 would be a really good solution (depending on cost of course).

I got the impression from the early part of this thread that you intended to warm up the 1979 245 a bit. If I’ve understood then the 2.3 turbo motor someone was talking about above would be a better proposition than trying to improve the B21.

I think there is a few chats going on in this thread aha

So the 245 which the car in question, I do intend to warm the car up a little, my first idea was I have used of a b230 turbo engine from my late 940. But in recent discoveries, (video to follow) I am tempted to keep the B21 for now, and have a play with that. Be it maybe a cam and webbers, but first off I want to sort the bodywork and suspension.

Thanks for the interest in the Rustoration of this old thing
79 Volvo 245 DL
03 P2 V70 D5
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simpsonsclassics For This Useful Post:
Old May 17th, 2024, 21:53   #34
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

In some markets the 240 did come with a B20 but I would not go fitting one. perfect for amazon's and 140's
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2024, 22:21   #35
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
In some markets the 240 did come with a B20 but I would not go fitting one. perfect for amazon's and 140's
… but it wouldn’t fit the bell housing from a slant 4 motor :-).
Old May 18th, 2024, 23:54   #36
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
… but it wouldn’t fit the bell housing from a slant 4 motor :-).
Bolts right upto it, just that either the engine or the box will be at an angle
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2024, 19:02   #37
Simpsonsclassics
VOC Member

A NEW VIDEO IS NOW LIVE...

WILL IT START??

https://youtu.be/h4IcGJ9evmw?si=qXDd5YdLdcw8JNjx

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled (43).jpg (219.8 KB, 25 views)
79 Volvo 245 DL
03 P2 V70 D5
The Following User Says Thank You to Simpsonsclassics For This Useful Post:
Old May 20th, 2024, 19:18   #38
Simpsonsclassics
VOC Member

Default Suspension advise

So following on from that previous post with the video link. I am looking to tackle the suspension first as this is where the accident damage is and the car currently wont roll.

Firstly I know I need the lower arm and the bushes front and back of the car, this is a given, but I would like to lower the car to a nice height but also so its noticeable, but still drivable.

What's peoples views, I am thinking some new shocks and springs, are coilovers any good?

Any ideas and photos welcome.

cheers
79 Volvo 245 DL
03 P2 V70 D5
The Following User Says Thank You to Simpsonsclassics For This Useful Post:
Old May 20th, 2024, 22:44   #39
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonsclassics View Post
So following on from that previous post with the video link. I am looking to tackle the suspension first as this is where the accident damage is and the car currently wont roll.

Firstly I know I need the lower arm and the bushes front and back of the car, this is a given, but I would like to lower the car to a nice height but also so its noticeable, but still drivable.

What's peoples views, I am thinking some new shocks and springs, are coilovers any good?

Any ideas and photos welcome.

cheers
I’ve just watched the YouTube video, thank you, it was first class. I left a comment with my thoughts.

When embarking on a project I always think the most important thing is to establish the project’s aims and limitations (cost and time) first, otherwise there is either mission creep or the thing never gets finished.

Lots of correspondents here will disagree with me: many will encourage you to spend a fortune warming up the car with lowered suspension, bigger and faster engines, go faster stripes, expensive ICE, under-car lighting and so on. Others might suggest an as-new restoration. Neither of these ideas will make any financial sense, so unless you want to spend your lotto winnings on something frivolous I’d advocate just fixing what is broken or worn out, welding up the holes and making everything tidy. In my humble opinion there is nothing wrong with a motorcar looking its age, and it is most important to get it working the way Mr Volvo intended. It could probably be re-commissioned for a grand and would make an interesting survivor worth at least £2,500 (maybe more as it is tax and ULEZ exempt).

Just the musings of a grumpy man with a beard and a dog called Bob. I’ll follow the project with interest - whatever you decide to do with it.

Last edited by Othen; May 20th, 2024 at 23:11.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2024, 10:25   #40
Jackman

Well it was an adventure working on that engine. Did we cut corners, yes a few. However after finding the broken belt we kinda decided let's use the old belt, can't make it worse.

Before it started I made sure the oil pump had primed, I was doing it for longer than the video showed. Also we had checked the oil level and made sure no water was in it.

Main thing we wanted to know was the engine health at that point. The grinding noise I knew was something external because I had messed with the tinwork getting the belt off.

I'm sure the plans for the car will be added here when they are known, I just know it's not being on planned and sold on.

Disclaimer, do as I say, not as I do when it came to that belt swap
Jackman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jackman For This Useful Post:

Tags
240 estate, abandoned, volvo 240 estate, volvo240