Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

High miles xc60 t5 2018 help

Views : 466

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 14th, 2024, 11:52   #1
STOTEXC60

Default High miles xc60 t5 2018 help

Hello
First post , nice forum full of info,
I have a quick question , I seen a XC60 2018 R design pro for sale with 130000 miles, its a T5, is this too many miles?
What checks should I do , what kind of issues should I expect from a car with this mileage?

Kind Regards
STOTEXC60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2024, 12:08   #2
Markflip

If you get as far as a test drive, in a car park or residential area do left and right turns on full lock while applying drive, if it grates, scrubs or judders, or has a 'locked diff' feeling, it indicates haldex issues, possible at that mileage especially if not maintained. There are posts on here about the problem.
Markflip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Markflip For This Useful Post:
Old May 14th, 2024, 14:59   #3
neilgorin

130000 in a car driven very carefully only on motorways could be barely worn at all.

130000 in a car driven by me on my typical continual slow/accelerate/turn country roads for weeks followed by a 500 mile non stop drive once a month could be quite worn.

130000 in a car driven by a company driver who doesn't care much for the vehicle could be totally worn out.
The Following User Says Thank You to neilgorin For This Useful Post:
Old May 14th, 2024, 16:53   #4
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

It is all about condition and how it has been driven. It also depends on your attitude to risk and whether you have a warranty. Sorry to be so unhelpful, but your question is basically impossible to answer.

My XC90 looks lovely in all ways and was driven sensibly, but I paid 11k for a new engine at 135k miles. You could buy this and suffer engine failure in weeks, or you could buy it and run it happily to 200k miles. Similarly you could have the same with a car at 70k miles. Or 100k miles. There really is no way of telling.
- MY17 V60 T4 Power Blue.
Previously:- 1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post:
Old May 14th, 2024, 17:35   #5
rhd443

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilgorin View Post
130000 in a car driven very carefully only on motorways could be barely worn at all.

130000 in a car driven by me on my typical continual slow/accelerate/turn country roads for weeks followed by a 500 mile non stop drive once a month could be quite worn.

130000 in a car driven by a company driver who doesn't care much for the vehicle could be totally worn out.
See this is interesting, I have the totally opposite experience, a car that's bedded in gently, driven like an old lady always tends to fail earlier than one that's been exposed to higher rpm or harder driving from new,

I've had ex lease, ex press cars and they were never the ones that failed, it was always the engines that had gentle treatment and cooled down/warmed up properly that had issues.

Company cars tend to get genuine parts fitted under service plans, no corners cut because the dealers make good money from fleecing the company cars for repairs etc.

You aren't looking at a first edition engine here either, the 2018 engines had some revised parts compared with the older blocks.

Be interesting to hear how Phillip Fisher drove the car during his ownership to hear if it let go after or under normal driving or aggressive driving history. Just out of curiosity

Also, you aren't looking to buy a Citroen that will be worn out at 130k, it's Swedish 🙂

Last edited by rhd443; May 14th, 2024 at 17:39.
rhd443 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rhd443 For This Useful Post:
Old May 14th, 2024, 19:06   #6
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhd443 View Post

Be interesting to hear how Phillip Fisher drove the car during his ownership to hear if it let go after or under normal driving or aggressive driving history. Just out of curiosity

Also, you aren't looking to buy a Citroen that will be worn out at 130k, it's Swedish 🙂
Well a bit of both really. It was my company car for the first 3 years and I did 85k miles whilst it was owned by Lex. I have some mechanical sympathy and never nailed it from cold, but it was on a full maintenance contract inc tyres and it was a good 150bhp more powerful than my previous fastest car so definitely used the performance in the early years. I didn't really think in the early years that I might buy it. Then I bought it and became a lot more concerned about tyre wear and brake wear. I also decided to drive a bit slower on the motorway, mainly because driving at 70 on the cruise is a lot less stressful than driving at 80-85 and constantly looking out for cameras. So for the second half of its life it had quite a gentle life. For instance I think I got over 45k miles out of my set of winter tyres. The engine let go at 135k miles.
- MY17 V60 T4 Power Blue.
Previously:- 1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post:
Old May 14th, 2024, 19:10   #7
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

Quote:

Hmmm these last lot of engines have been some grief, and the petrols haven’t done well either from what I’ve seen from over in the US. Even post 2018s are burning oil.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux

Last edited by GrahamBrown1; May 14th, 2024 at 19:21.
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrahamBrown1 For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2024, 15:40   #8
neilgorin

Quote:
See this is interesting, I have the totally opposite experience, a car that's bedded in gently, driven like an old lady always tends to fail earlier than one that's been exposed to higher rpm or harder driving from new,

It's not just the engine that wears. My cars tend to have very worn suspension at around 100k, because I'm driving 50% of my daily commute along country roads that are in poor condition, braking and turning every few hundred yards. I always laugh when I see the car advertised as having "motorway miles" after it's been traded in - my mechanic who looks after all my cars once they're out of warranty tends to comment that at 80k they're "nicer than others I've driven" but by 100k they're the opposite.

The engines were improved but there are quite a few later engines that still use oil, they just don't use it as early as the ones before the revisions. My last D4 (19) was using oil between services past 80k miles and needed oil every 5000 miles by the time I moved it on post 100k. I'm quite sure it would have been one of those litre every 1000 miles cars if I kept it another year or two.

I agree the worst thing for a car is my Mother's style of driving though - 900 miles between MOTs and rarely goes out of the town - but eventually gets sold on as "low mileage, lady owner" etc etc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to neilgorin For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2024, 23:45   #9
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilgorin View Post
It's not just the engine that wears. My cars tend to have very worn suspension at around 100k, because I'm driving 50% of my daily commute along country roads that are in poor condition, braking and turning every few hundred yards. I always laugh when I see the car advertised as having "motorway miles" after it's been traded in - my mechanic who looks after all my cars once they're out of warranty tends to comment that at 80k they're "nicer than others I've driven" but by 100k they're the opposite.

The engines were improved but there are quite a few later engines that still use oil, they just don't use it as early as the ones before the revisions. My last D4 (19) was using oil between services past 80k miles and needed oil every 5000 miles by the time I moved it on post 100k. I'm quite sure it would have been one of those litre every 1000 miles cars if I kept it another year or two.

I agree the worst thing for a car is my Mother's style of driving though - 900 miles between MOTs and rarely goes out of the town - but eventually gets sold on as "low mileage, lady owner" etc etc.
At 100k, a suspension system is going to be worn regardless. Even "motorway" driving... I take it you've seen the potholes/imperfections on the motorways? Hitting them at 70mph or even more depending how you drive can't be good, and at that speed, they aren't always avoidable.

Motorway miles is good for the DPF if its a diesel, but suspension wise, motorway still wears the suspension. I think people think because a car has been motorway driven that its going to be as good as new or barely worn. Maybe in other countries with better roads than here, but I can't see that being the case here. Our motorways are a disgrace and motorway miles definitely takes its toll on suspension too.

It all depends how the car has been driven and how it has been looked after, which should be evident by the service records. As someone said earlier, its impossible to answer whether a car with 130k on is too much. If this was an older Volvo, I'd probably say its worth a punt (test drive pending, check history records etc). These newer Volvo's aren't built the same as the old ones. Plenty of mechanics have told me that.

Its the risk you take buying something with higher miles... it may not be all rose petals either. Have a proper test drive, check through everything like MOT's etc etc. There's no easy answer to give. Its a used car, you can expect things to be wrong or go wrong.

Last edited by Kev0607; May 15th, 2024 at 23:57.
Kev0607 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old May 16th, 2024, 18:39   #10
STOTEXC60

Thank you guys , i really appreciate all the info , i guess i will pass on this one and look for one with god history and less miles
STOTEXC60 is offline   Reply With Quote