Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Abandoned 79 Volvo 245 - lets save it...

Views : 2113

Replies : 46

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 21st, 2024, 15:09   #41
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

for best driving on the road 40mm lowering is perfect. Does not look especially low but gives the best driving car.
classicswede is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2024, 19:13   #42
Simpsonsclassics
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I’ve just watched the YouTube video, thank you, it was first class. I left a comment with my thoughts.

When embarking on a project I always think the most important thing is to establish the project’s aims and limitations (cost and time) first, otherwise there is either mission creep or the thing never gets finished.

Lots of correspondents here will disagree with me: many will encourage you to spend a fortune warming up the car with lowered suspension, bigger and faster engines, go faster stripes, expensive ICE, under-car lighting and so on. Others might suggest an as-new restoration. Neither of these ideas will make any financial sense, so unless you want to spend your lotto winnings on something frivolous I’d advocate just fixing what is broken or worn out, welding up the holes and making everything tidy. In my humble opinion there is nothing wrong with a motorcar looking its age, and it is most important to get it working the way Mr Volvo intended. It could probably be re-commissioned for a grand and would make an interesting survivor worth at least £2,500 (maybe more as it is tax and ULEZ exempt).

Just the musings of a grumpy man with a beard and a dog called Bob. I’ll follow the project with interest - whatever you decide to do with it.

Thank you for watching and leaving a comment. I did reply to that also.

If you have seen the channel we have many projects some further along than others and some not started yet. Cost is always a factor if I plan to sell the vehicle on but when it comes to something I want to keep that changes.

For example the 340DL we saved that was always one to sell on and we did and made a profit with not having spent much on the car it was already decent. I didn't get it over the MOT hurdle because for me I wouldn't see the money back, so that's an example.

For the 245 I have wanted a early one (I know this isn't mad early). Together with the story of the car, this one will be a keeper, that being said with space and other projects I wont be throwing loads of money at it, I just want it safe and reliable, I plan to keep the patina, as I love how it looks. I will repair what needs to be done and protect the rest. Modifications wise yes there will be some but nothing mad. I like the car as is.

Cheers
79 Volvo 245 DL
03 P2 V70 D5
Simpsonsclassics is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simpsonsclassics For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2024, 19:14   #43
Simpsonsclassics
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
for best driving on the road 40mm lowering is perfect. Does not look especially low but gives the best driving car.
40mm springs are what I am thinking, I am trying to do some research into how it will look. I think the springs and new shocks, bushes etc maybe even some wider wheels the car will look and drive nicely.

I will be on the phone in a few weeks after some bits aha

cheers
79 Volvo 245 DL
03 P2 V70 D5
Old May 21st, 2024, 19:15   #44
Simpsonsclassics
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackman View Post
Well it was an adventure working on that engine. Did we cut corners, yes a few. However after finding the broken belt we kinda decided let's use the old belt, can't make it worse.

Before it started I made sure the oil pump had primed, I was doing it for longer than the video showed. Also we had checked the oil level and made sure no water was in it.

Main thing we wanted to know was the engine health at that point. The grinding noise I knew was something external because I had messed with the tinwork getting the belt off.

I'm sure the plans for the car will be added here when they are known, I just know it's not being on planned and sold on.

Disclaimer, do as I say, not as I do when it came to that belt swap
The biggest thing Jackman was we had fun and did the necessary things to get it to run, the car has great bones and I cant wait to drive it
79 Volvo 245 DL
03 P2 V70 D5
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simpsonsclassics For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2024, 19:21   #45
Simpsonsclassics
VOC Member

The signs of life in this car are awesome.

If any of you follow my channel you will see we got her running, I mean it wasn't the normal revival but she runs and doesn't seem to bad at all.

During this process we did electrical test, we have all lights apart from one number plate bulb, and indicators (this might be due to the relays not being in there and the fact its sat for so long, things could be corroded or broken. That is a job for another day.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0497.jpg (271.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0498.jpg (241.3 KB, 17 views)
79 Volvo 245 DL
03 P2 V70 D5
The Following User Says Thank You to Simpsonsclassics For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2024, 19:29   #46
Simpsonsclassics
VOC Member

SO WHAT ARE THE PLANS I HERE YOU SAY??

Body: I am going to repair the bad rust, but leave the rest of the body work as I love the patina on this car and the history/story it tells.

Engine: I want to go through the B21 doing gaskets, belts, rubbers etc etc
I think I will get it running with the current carb again and it seemed fine. But long term I would love some twin Webber 45's with a added cam to. But lets see how the engine does first.

Suspension: This all needs going through to get it road legal and to fix the accident damage, I wont be doing anything to mad right now, but she will get a little lower to mother earth.

Interior: This needs a dam good clean and refresh but largely will be left alone, with the addition of some snow mats... Does anyone have any for sale?

Wheels/Tires: I am planning some banded steels, as I love the look of the original caps etc This will keep things subtle and in keeping to the car. Then wrap those in some nice tires to cope with the burnouts....... I mean mileage, as I plan to use this car as a big of Merch Hauler for my Youtube Channel.

So what do you all think? I appreciate this isn't for everyone. This is to get it on the road and see how we do, I have other projects I want to start but want to see this one moving.

Cheers

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ENVY7999.jpg (399.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg ETXB9686.jpg (407.8 KB, 16 views)
79 Volvo 245 DL
03 P2 V70 D5
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Simpsonsclassics For This Useful Post:
Old Today, 18:25   #47
braindamage

I appreciate the text and picture updates, will follow along on this thread and am interested to see the end result.
braindamage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
240 estate, abandoned, volvo 240 estate, volvo240