View Single Post
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 09:25   #16
catch22
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFella View Post
Regardless of DPF or not I would choose a petrol over a diesel if I were only doing short journeys - the economy of the latter wouldn't really be benificial in such a case.
I do spreadsheets for all sorts of things, running the car, utility consumption and costings. So doing the maths on our last twelve months motoring. We clocked 5.5k of which 2k was on two holiday trips to Dorset and Devon [Now that was when the S40 came into its own, munching motorway miles]

Anyway, the 5.5k in the S40 2.0D 54 plate costs £687 in fuel. In the Focus 1.6 petrol 55 plate, it costs £878. [ diesel £1.10, petrol £1.09] So a saving of £191 in fuel over the Focus. But subtract a £73 saving to insure the Focus. And costing out the six year cycle of maintenance of the DPF. Two three yearly Eloys top ups. And every sixth year DPF replacement [£600 estimated in total] so £100 per annum over six years.

So £191- £173= £18 per annum saving running the S40. Bare in mind it costs £200 less to put a full set of the same brand tyres on the Focus. And I know the servicing and parts renewal will be cheaper on the Focus.

I have to keep bring up the cost savings of running the Focus because I'm really missing the S40

Of course if we were doing 15K+ a year, no way would I have let the wife get her bum back in a Focus again. But at 5.5k I lost the cost savings argument.

Last edited by catch22; Jan 18th, 2010 at 09:27.
catch22 is offline   Reply With Quote