View Single Post
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 09:07   #30
catch22
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
I don't see it as a Volvo issue, in that it is any worse then with other marques, so no need to panic. It's just that some people have had issues with them, but as a percentage of the DPF's out there its tiny.

My own experience is, I bought a 54 plate S40 last January, it had 57,965miles on the clock, so still on the original DPF. I then put another 5,368 miles on it over 9 months. 2600 miles of that was undertaken over a 17 day period split between three holiday trips using the motorways to get there and back. Based in North Yorks, went to Dorset once Devon once and Lanarkshire in Scotland once.

The other 2,768 miles spread over the other 8.5 months. Split mostly between 2 mile town journeys, and the odd 19 mile round trip using bypasses and A roads to the next town.The on board computer had the average speed for the car over that 9 month period as 31mph [ I'd do 75mph in cruise on the motorways]

Never once did I have an issue with the DPF, no service messages, no limp home modes, nothing. Only thing I will say is on the town bypass, and dual carriage trunk road to the next town, I would give it a bit of wellie. Nothing silly, no wild driving, I drive on my gears not my brakes. Hell I'm 63 so hardly a boy racer.
For what its worth, all on Morrisons supermarket fuel with no additives.