View Single Post
Old Mar 1st, 2009, 19:48   #27
S60 Alex
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Rogers View Post
Well done,

How difficult did you find the turbo refurb?
Hi Chris,

The turbo refurb (& removal of the turbo/exhaust manifold) were the two easiest bits.

I of course had the help of forum member Dooby's excellent guide - everything was pretty much as he'd described. I found a Park Tools torque wrench (bicycle tools company) that did 0-7nm for £29.99. The only slightly tricky bit was realigning the two compressor/turbine wheels when tightening, to preserve the turbo's balancing.

The only swine, now that I think about it, was the large circlip that holds part of the turbo together. I'd bought a set of circlip pliers from Screwfix, and they were very slightly too small - you really do need very wide opening ones. They still worked, but I did enjoy the circlip pinging off into low orbit a few times.

I also bought myself a 3/8" 10-80nm torque wrench, which I've found much more useful for engine use than the typical Argos/Screwfix/Laser £18.99 1/2" version.

The trickiest bits of the job were actually round the front - my engine has a rigid PCV pipe that connects to the intake manifold (underneath it, with a hollow screw that is a bugger to tighten), the PCV box and the side of the engine block - I found this quite a challenge to do.

I just took the car for a spin around Hampstead's many hills and nothing has blown up - still happy!!

Cheers,

Alex
S60 Alex is offline   Reply With Quote