View Single Post
Old Apr 30th, 2024, 13:17   #1285
Thekilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames View Post
Well that's quite interesting. As an onlooker (looking at users experiences of both Tesla and "everyone else"), "everyone else" looks like a nightmare...but I appreciate that's not first-hand experience. But, then again, I witnessed a colleague struggling for about 10 minutes with a destination charger to top up his XC40 a few weeks ago, while (at least as far as I'm aware) with a Tesla you just plug it in and the car takes care of billing, etc. I do appreciate that you would potentially need to grapple with a third-party destination charger with a Tesla, too, but at least you aren't taking a deep breath about potentially having that experience every time you stop for a mid-journey splash.

I believe that the smart route planning / charger integration which has been a key Tesla benefit is now present in some cars with AAOS, which is a huge step forward, but you're still at the mercy of the network (reliability, complexity, availability, etc) and the higher kWh costs.

Of course none of that is a factor unless you're actually going to charge away from home, and many people will barely ever (or potentially never) do that.

cheers

James
I had an issue yesterday when parking. I didnt really need to charge as i had 170 miles remaining, and the cost per kwh was quite high. However to pay for parking was more arduous than charging. We didnt have any change, the parking machine didnt take card, and when trying to use the app it stated i was already registered but even after resetting password i still couldnt get in. 5 minutes faffing i gave up, parked at the charger (third party charger) plugged in and tapped the RFID card from Octopus and behold it was charging. Wasnt an issue at all. I have had bad experiances with third party chargers, and i dont for one minute disbeleive any of the issues other people have had. Its not all roses with Tesla chargers either. We have encountered ones which dont work, or dodgy connectors but luckily at the time of day we were there it wasnt busy at all.

I remember well the times i was at fuel stations and there wasnt any fuelat the pumps, then trying to find another local station with fuel before running out. similar stories but people forget this and focus on the negative of something they dont like.
The Following User Says Thank You to Thekilt For This Useful Post: