View Single Post
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 07:49   #13
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The crankcase fumes go into the air intake down-stream of the Air mass meter .. all that goes through the air mass meter is fresh filtered air , the pipes are always clean when you change an air filter .
Same as the MR2 then, and that MAF sensor has needed cleaning several times due to lean running (causing P0171 and P0174 error codes). It's one of the most common MR2 problems. The incoming 'fresh air' is never absolutely clean, the fumes I referred to were traffic fumes, etc., plus of course the air filter can never remove all airborne particulates.

So I really don't understand how Volvos can never suffer from a dirty MAF sensor, as surely some contaminants will not simply burn off? But happy to take your word for it!

I'm new to Volvos but, in my experience, while you will improve poor MoT emmision figures (HC and CO) by getting the engine and cat really hot, you're unlikely to make improvements to a high lambda figure by doing this. Unless of course this is another weird Volvo thing that I've yet to understand!

Last edited by Zebster; Sep 21st, 2018 at 08:03.
Zebster is offline   Reply With Quote