Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Guide: V50 1.6D Drive 2010 Eolys tank filling DPF PAT fluid (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=257229)

jimbo1593 Oct 2nd, 2016 11:07

Guide: V50 1.6D Drive 2010 Eolys tank filling DPF PAT fluid

1 Attachment(s)
Don't normally post on this forum but wanted to post my process for refilling the Eolys tank on the above model.

I wore long sleeves, gloves and goggles to avoid contact with the fluid.

I found a single helpful video on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0tdT93OXAI
and pretty much nothing else. The Haynes comic was particularly bad.

The Eolys tank sits directly infront of the rear beam.

I have attached a picture below.

On the nearside of the tank is the wiring to ECU and the pipe that goes forward away from the tank.

On the offside of the tank at the top of the tank is the drain port, this is on a swivel and will probably be turned upwards, it can be twisted down with minimal resistance. The end of the hose has a quick release cover that can be removed by depressing the blue button and pulling. The end of this hose is about 8mm outside diameter.

At the front, towards engine, of the tank right at the top is the filling arrangement. There seems to be a single pipe with a T-piece that spilts the pipe into two, as shown. My understanding of this is that the uppermost pipe might be an airvent for filling and th lowermost the actual fill pipe. The pipes are secured upwards with little clips that can be easily removed and the fill pipe can then be pulled down. The fill pipe has an end the same as the drain pipe. I left the "vent" in situ and didn't touch it at all and managed to the fill the tank, albeit slowly. The fill pipe might leak some fluid when you remove the cover make sure you aren't directly underneath it.

I used a non-volvo PAT fluid off the internet with it's associated fitting kit. The fitting kit screws directly to the top of the bottle and has a quick fit clip to connect the tube to the fill pipe, there is also a short piece of pipe for the drain.
The volvo drain pipe is probably long enough to drain down into a container without the kit.
The screw cap and tube is nice as it prevents leakage of fluid, which apparently is quite nasty stuff. I found the 90cm tubing to be only just long enough to prop the inverted fluid bottle in the wheel arch above the tyre thus alowing gravity to fill the container. Using this method it took about 10-15 to fully empty the bottle. My tank must have been empty because nothing came out of the drain pipe.

In my view if a peice of long 150cm tube and a funnel would suffice but because of the nature of the fluid I would pay the £10 for the fitting kit.

After filling everything disconnected with ease and could be tucked away whence it came.

volvo for ever Oct 2nd, 2016 16:31

you still need to put it on vida and reset ADM tank level...

jimbo1593 Oct 2nd, 2016 20:06

Well aware of that. Thx.

dave j Oct 4th, 2016 20:45

Very useful guide - thanks!

Could you see when under the vehicle how difficult it would be to actually remove the dpf fluid tank for replacement?

My local dealer [confirmed by another mech] has suggested that my tank [1.6D c30 2007] is kaputt -it knows it has fluid in it but the sensor won't allow the tank to dose the dpf. Dealer is suggesting replace the tank with a new unit [around £300 for the part] but I'm considering sourcing a s/h unit, filling it and using VIDA to reset?

Any advice much appreciated

jimbo1593 Oct 9th, 2016 15:08

ouch, sound dear Dave.

To be honest I didn't look at how to remove the tank.
Haynes says that it comes as a single unit, so what the dealer says sounds right.
Haynes also says it is only 3 screws.
Access not easy but if you have axle stands it shouldn't be horrendous.

Bloders2 Oct 9th, 2016 17:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave j (Post 2176520)

Could you see when under the vehicle how difficult it would be to actually remove the dpf fluid tank for replacement?

My local dealer [confirmed by another mech] has suggested that my tank [1.6D c30 2007] is kaputt -it knows it has fluid in it but the sensor won't allow the tank to dose the dpf. Dealer is suggesting replace the tank with a new unit [around £300 for the part] but I'm considering sourcing a s/h unit, filling it and using VIDA to reset?

yep, three screws (torx fitting) holds it on. just sold mine off a car im breaking so removed it a week or so.
Not too bad but the fasteners were a bit tight. had to hit one quite hard with a chisel to get it to break free.
exhaust was off my car, i think this made it quite a bit easier to do

dave j Oct 10th, 2016 08:33

Hi

Thanks for the replies guys.

I ended up having the dealer do it - cost £390 all in after a bit of haggling...

I had priced up at £63 for fluid, £65 ish for a VIDA/DICE and whatever it would have cost for a s/h tank - no idea but wasn't expecting it to be too expensive as it doesn't seem to be a part in high demand [just by lucky blokes like me....]

The service bloke at the dealers did say that a replacement tank would have to be "coded" to the vehicle as they are specific to the VIN - didn't sound right to me - perhaps he meant that the level had to be reset via VIDA?

Anyway all sorted now - thanks again for your help

Cheers

D J

Pete-V70 D5 2003 Sep 23rd, 2019 15:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave j (Post 2176520)

Thanks for thr refill process above. Makes it appear a lot less daunting. I wonder if one fills the unit without the VIDA process then this might be the cause of your issue? Otherwise whats the point of the VIDA process and what would happen if ignored but the tank is filled?

Pete-V70 D5 2003 Jul 26th, 2020 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbo1593 (Post 2175285)
Don't normally post on this forum but wanted to post my process for refilling the Eolys tank on the above model.

Thanks for that excellent article and the drawing :)

What happened that caused you to want to fill the tank? Cheers

Pete-V70 D5 2003 Aug 1st, 2020 10:32

Top the tank up anyway if you have just aquired the car (it should be every 36k) I just got mine done and as ever NO messages from the car about it. 1.5ltrs so it was almost bone dry+reset+labour £115 Godfreys of Holbeach, Lincs. Nice one.