Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Engine: TD: woshing noise (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=308790)

Nullsleep Aug 9th, 2020 19:02

woshing noise

ok just asking if this is normal, i have had turbo Cars before and i could never hear any "induction" sounds from them unless there was a Boost leak, but this Volvo when i boot it i can hear a loud Air being Sucked/blowed, is this normal or could there be a boost leak?

i also get a little bit of black smoke when i boot it, not just a little puff but all the time when i am wide open.

i dont have a cone filter, only standered paper filter fitted.

Edit:
This Car is a 1998 V70 2.5 auto TDI

rudi dudi Aug 9th, 2020 19:12

No id a on the induction noise.Non of mine do that.. the exhaust side is perfectly normal.
These have the ability to turn day in to night...Wonderful Dpf free dirty diesels..

Nullsleep Aug 9th, 2020 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by rudi dudi (Post 2654577)
No id a on the induction noise.Non of mine do that.. the exhaust side is perfectly normal.
These have the ability to turn day in to night...Wonderful Dpf free dirty diesels..

i had a feeling that might be the case, never had an TDI this old before so its a first for me

rudi dudi Aug 9th, 2020 20:40

As long as it's black smoke it's fine.That's the way diesel is suppose to burn in it's natural state without any emission control ...
If it's grey or white smoke that's a different matter and your expelling unburnt diesel.

PNuT Aug 10th, 2020 03:02

boost leak

xco Aug 10th, 2020 04:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by PNuT (Post 2654671)
boost leak

Check for split or failng charge pipe or inter-cooler.

If it's charge pipe you'll know eventually as it sounds like a steam engine and won't go above 40 mph!

Nullsleep Aug 10th, 2020 08:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by xco (Post 2654675)
Check for split or failng charge pipe or inter-cooler.

If it's charge pipe you'll know eventually as it sounds like a steam engine and won't go above 40 mph!

have checked all the pipes I can see on top, from intercooler to intake, guessing turbo to intercooler goes under the engine? How do I check intercooler?

Well it go faster than 40 mph but does feel like it struggles to get to 60

rudi dudi Aug 10th, 2020 10:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nullsleep (Post 2654693)
have checked all the pipes I can see on top, from intercooler to intake, guessing turbo to intercooler goes under the engine? How do I check intercooler?

Well it go faster than 40 mph but does feel like it struggles to get to 60

You should have said in your first post that it struggles to get past 60 mph.Something is cleary wrong .As mentioned by others you've more than likely got a hole in a hose somewhere.

Nullsleep Aug 10th, 2020 11:38

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rudi dudi (Post 2654724)
You should have said in your first post that it struggles to get past 60 mph.Something is cleary wrong .As mentioned by others you've more than likely got a hole in a hose somewhere.

Well no hole in a hose but this, looks like the intercooler has taken a hit, time to find one at a scrappy.

do I have to find a tdi one or are they all the same?

Derek UK Aug 10th, 2020 13:21

Can't actually see a hole, but I would be wondering where all of the oil came from.