Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   V70: Engine Safety Recall Notice (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=96769)

Nick44 May 29th, 2010 12:41

Safety Recall Notice

Hi All,
Received a Recall Campaign notice yesterday for my 08 MY V70 D5. (30.000 mls)
This is the second one I have had, this new one is about fuel getting into the sump and overfilling the engine oil.
I have checked my cars oil level this morning and it is WAY over the max mark.
Anyone else got this letter?

cassell May 29th, 2010 13:09

Volvo recall

Hi,

Yes, received mine for my 08 S80 D5 in the post this morning, the wife is out in the car (shopping!) so I'll check when she gets back. When I last checked the oil level a couple of weeks ago, all was fine.

Regards, Paul

Nick44 May 29th, 2010 13:29

Copy Recall Letter

1 Attachment(s)
Scanned copy letter

Clan May 29th, 2010 13:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick44 (Post 678212)
Hi All,
Received a Recall Campaign notice yesterday for my 08 MY V70 D5. (30.000 mls)
This is the second one I have had, this new one is about fuel getting into the sump and overfilling the engine oil.
I have checked my cars oil level this morning and it is WAY over the max mark.
Anyone else got this letter?

Take it to your dealer they will drain oil out so its below MAX on the dipstick , then do a software update and you will have to monitor the level for a while and report back to them if it continues to rise ...

mikealder May 29th, 2010 14:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 678244)
Take it to your dealer they will drain oil out so its below MAX on the dipstick , then do a software update and you will have to monitor the level for a while and report back to them if it continues to rise ...

I wouldn't be too happy if thats all they did, engine oil contaminated with diesel isn't going to be doing the engine any good at all, the very least would be a full drain, new filter and re-filled with the correct spec oil if the car was showing overly full due to fuel getting in to the sump - Mike

Nick44 May 29th, 2010 15:19

I had a feeling that's all the dealer will do.
I agree with Mike, fresh fill of oil and a new filter.
I reckon the oil must be close to 30% Derv judging by the dipstick level.

Clan May 29th, 2010 15:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick44 (Post 678286)
I had a feeling that's all the dealer will do.
I agree with Mike, fresh fill of oil and a new filter.
I reckon the oil must be close to 30% Derv judging by the dipstick level.

It will do no harm according to volvo 30% of the capicity is over 2 litres ! no its barely 1/2 litre high ,
Volvo do know what they are doing , because their stage 3 action answers your question regarding changine the oil . Thats if the oil continues to rise despite the software ..

s1monc May 29th, 2010 17:29

I have just bought a 58 plate V70 D5 sport only last week from the main dealer. I checked the oil yesterday and it was about 1cm over maximum mark. I will wait a few days to see if i get a recall letter.

Simon.

br1anuk May 29th, 2010 17:35

The last time our V70 went in to have the DPF regenerated I called into the the service desk and the guy told me that the car is fine now and we've given it an oil change as well????
When I queried this (how dare I) it was just brushed off.
What really annoys me is that this DPF technology is obviously a **** up, rushed job whatever you want to call it and the fact that Volvo will drain your oil down to make the level correct. I thought that this very expensive engine oil was now liquid engineering. How can it do the same job if 20 to 30% of it is diesel or bio diesel. Would we be better just topping the engine up with vegatable or olive oil.

Brian.

Nick44 May 30th, 2010 12:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 678291)
It will do no harm according to volvo 30% of the capicity is over 2 litres ! no its barely 1/2 litre high ,
Volvo do know what they are doing , because their stage 3 action answers your question regarding changine the oil . Thats if the oil continues to rise despite the software ..

What do you mean by stage 3 action please Clan?
You seem to be in the know, so could you also explain what route the Derv is using to get into the sump? Is it excess fuel that's getting by the piston rings, or as the particulate filter keeps getting a mention, could you explain how the filter works and why this could cause fuel in the sump?
Thanks, Nick